Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping to diesel....hydroboost as well?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive found a '86 diesel k10 locally, the guys wants $1000 or so for it. the body apprears to be in very good condition, and its also got a plow on it. only thing is that the frame is rusted pretty bad. anyways, im planning on buying it and swapping the diesel into my rig and then parting the rest of it out. anyways, since the truck is complete and rungs great, should i swap the 1/2ton hydroboost into my k5? ive got 60/14 combo with rear discs. if i have all the parts is it hard? worth it or not?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i thought you had to run hydro boost with diesel because of vacum reasons:confused:

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You pretty much have to run the hydroboost, for vacuum reasons. Diesel engines don't make enough vacuum to run a vacuum booster properly. Some rare diesels you might find (I think some of the 70's euro cars) had a vacuum pump to supply the vaccum. Most diesels use hydroboost though.
    If all the parts are there, should be no problem. Should be more predictable and better braking response as well.
    Only trickly part to the swap would be if the doner is not the same tranny style as the receiving vehicle (auto or manual). Then you'll need to do something special with the pump pushrod. (Rod connects brake pedal through firewall to booster).

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

You have to have HB on a diesel because diesel engines produce no vacuum

5. muddybuddy

do you? :dunno: thats why im askin :D

6. muddybuddy

well the donor has a 700r4, mine currently has a 700r4 as well, but im going to be swapping in a 4L80E, but since they are both auto's it should be fine tho?

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Check www.jondiesel.com . He is in the DC area. I just got a nice m1009 from him and saw his lot. He has a few 1009's for parts and other stuff. He just got the site working, not alot of pics, but I would call him If I were you. Tell him George sent you. BTW, I think I saw the k10 your looking at on craigslist, what a rotbox.

8. muddybuddy

the body looked pretty solid, the frame just had rust. thanks ill check out that site

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Should be. I can't remember if it was something to do with the pedal itself, or the stud on the pedal where the pushrod mounts. I think it was the stud, it's a different diameter, so you might have to swap the pedal. I don't remember exactly though. It's pretty obvious and straightforward though, you'll see when you get into it.If the pedal on the donor is an auto and yours in an auto, any parts should swap right over. Pretty easy job with a complete donor right next to it.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The rod is attached to the boopster (vacuum or hydro), so that's easy, but the pedal pivot point is different so it's much easier just to swap pedals, hydro for vacuum.

-- A