Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping to hydro boost and crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Oct 28, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm in the middle of doing crossover but was kicking around the idea of doing the hydro boost while I was at it. I can get a complete setup for dirt cheap... only thing is my steering box is o-ring and the hydro lines are made for reg flare end /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do I need yet another box (this is my 3rd) or are there o ring hydro boost lines out there???

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What is so great about hydro boost anyway? I've got two rigs with it and neither of them seem to be a major improvement over vacuum boost.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

From my experience there is a big difference. My dads burb is a 1990 with a 350 and 265x75x16's and stops like crap. my 89 with the 6.2 and 35's stops in half the room as my dads. I'll also add that my master cylinder is shot and the rear res leaks like mad.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hydroboost is a much better system.

Now, are you planning hydro assist? I have had nothing but problems running hydro assist and hydroboost. At first I had too little pressure and the steering sucked while the hydroboost worked great. Then I had too much pressure and the steering worked great but the hydroboost sucked.

So now I am getting a full Howe pump, resevoir, cooler, filter, setup for my hydro assist system and I'm going to run a bone stock gm pump to run the hydroboost system.

After talking with Jeff Howe we came up with this as the best solution.

But if you don't plan on hydro assist disregard my novel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

me thinks tim is talkin out his azz again. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

go hydro assist and dont ever look back dude, especially if you can set it up cheap. You dont need no stinkin extra resevoir for the system... use the radiator hose trick, and just add a small tranny cooler and a remote tranny filter kit to the low pressure return loop and you'll have all the cooling and fluid capacity you'll ever need... and the fluid will be clean too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was always thinking about adding a trick howe resevoir but after seeing some of the guys on POR suggest the filter option instead, it seems like a pretty good idea.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187982&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

j

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    me thinks tim is talkin out his azz again. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm talking out my ass. I've got two rigs that came with hydroboost from the factory! My 2wd will lock all four tires up and smoke them, but I'm sure if I had tires that small on my big truck, it'd do the same.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can lock up all 4 of my 39.50's at any time. Actually, I do it often up by school, too many damn girls on cell phones pulling out in front of me...

Anyway, but my system is not stock.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Jek-
    you talking hydro assisted steering or hydro boost brakes????

I'm only wanting hydro boost brakes.

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

jeremy .. I sent you and email on hydro boost....
    cam

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I can lock up all 4 of my 39.50's at any time. Actually, I do it often up by school, too many damn girls on cell phones pulling out in front of me...

Anyway, but my system is not stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if I get some extra time/money I was planning on giving it a shot anyway. I've got all of the parts here as I have two rigs with it, one of which is going to be taken apart for parts.

I have never driven a rig with big tires and hydroboost, but neither of my 1 tons seemed to have brakes that were all that wonderful...they work alright but it's not like they locked up the instant you touched them either.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Jek-
    you talking hydro assisted steering or hydro boost brakes????

I'm only wanting hydro boost brakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, whoops. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif when someone is talking about doing x-over.. and then they say "hydro"... I think hydro assist steering... not brakes. you threw me off. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j