Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping to manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by krechj, Nov 8, 2006.

1. krechj

krechj Registered Member

so i've found 2 early 90's chevy 1500's with 5 spd trannys and im considering swapping out my turbo 400 for a manual however i dont really know alot about chevy's manual transmissions except for the sm456. my guess is that these trucks have the nv4500? or do they have something else that i dont know about? these seem to be way to cheap though beacause from what i've heard the nv4500's are pretty pricey. any help would be great thanks guys!

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

post up a vin# and I should be able to tell you what trans it is.

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If they are 1/2 tons they arent' 4500s. They are Getrag 5-speeds, good for a driver, but dunno bout a wheeler.....

4. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

thats not always true

some 1/2 tons had the nv4500, especially if it a w/t 4x4 and if so you've found a 14bsf with a 6 lug also.

5. blazin_blazer

i'm assuming that the 90 models are 4x4? other wise how are you going to get it in? or are you looking to swap a tranny in a 2wd?

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Unless they made 1500hd's then they didnt. that would be a light duty 2500

7. krechj

krechj Registered Member

thanks for the help! but from the sounds of it they arn't gonna be the nv4500's however i suppose i'll check anyhow just to make sure i dont pass it up. anyone know about the getrag 5spd? im looking for a tranny with a lower first gear than the 400... otherwise i'll just stick to the sm465

8. blazin_blazer

they did make a 1500 hd i saw a new new model(oh i would say it was an 03 or 04) the other day i was admiring the 8 lug rear disk brakes thinkin i need that rearend...i looked at the rest of the truck checkin it out and on the door 1500hd..i said holy ****, look thats a 1/2 ton with 8 lugs, talking to my wife she said u know i don't care about that ****!

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

What're you gonna do with your 400? :whistle:

:D

10. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I used to own a 94 chevy 1/2 ton with a NV4500. It was the only non 1/2 ton part on the truck. It was an option that only a few people went with. Loved that granny gear.

11. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The 4500 was an option on the 1500's starting in 92- possibly late 91. The 6-lug SF14 was an option too, from 88 til 95 or so. You can ID it by looking at it, it has a large black iron case with an separate aluminum bellhousing. The LD 5-speeds are one piece with integral bellhousing and are bright aluminum. They were offered starting in 88 or so. I've beat on one pretty hard- hard enough that I destroyed the open 10-bolt behind it and though it showed signs of wear it never gave up. You should be able to bolt one up to a NP208 or 241 out of an earlier truck to do the swap. The main problem area is the internal slave cyl on some of the later year models. I had to replace the slave on my 93, but it was external- I just had to loosen the starter to get it completely out.

12. krechj

krechj Registered Member

haha t'll prolly sit around the garage for a few years till i someday find something to do with it or end up putting it back in... however if someone were to make an offer everythigs for sale for a price lol it does only have 40,000 on it! im still debating about even doing the swap though so we'll see what happens

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well def swap to a manual.... and go hydraulic clutch ta boot.. either way you wont be happy.. I had a turbo 400 with a b&m shiftkit.. shifted like hell.... rip yer head off it would..... but went to a manual... cant shift as fast but the power is where I need it..never have the CRAP IM BOGGING!!!! drop that gear and hammer down :haha:

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

nudder vote for the stick!

15. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping my built 400 for a 465 too. 465's are a dime a dozen, I wouldn't trust a LD 5-speed and a 4500 is $$$.

16. blazin_blazer

.10 a dozen

well i'll take about 5 dozen, i just barely have 2 quarters to rub together, but i guess i would part wit em for 60 sm465's, i've been lookin for just 1 for about 2 years now that has a 203 adapter so i can do my crawler with a doubler!! they just not in this part of the country!...

i've been told that the 400 with the 203 adapter is the way to go anyway, when you realize your in to low of a gear and your sinking and you have to clutch it to grab a gear might be just long enuff to stick you there once you lose that momentum, with an auto if you realize your going to slow you just gas it!!

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

if i was to build a pure mud truck i would probably go with an auto. otherwise i dig the stick IMO