Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping transfer cases and gearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big_Red, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red Registered Member

I own a 75' chevy 1/2 ton with a 8 inch lift and a 14 bolt rear and dana 44. It also has a 400 horse small block. It has a turbo 350 and a np 203 which is a full time transfer case. I also own a 75' chevy 1/2 ton chassis with a manual tranny and a np 205. I was wondering if i can directly swap the 203 for the 205 with out any changes if so what do i need to change? Or would it be better to buy a kit for the 203 to make it non-full time 4wd?
    Also i have a question about gearing. I have 37" super swamper boggers with 3.73's. My friend said i should run 4.88's. But i do drive a lot of highway miles and i want good gas mileage. What gears should i run?

Please Help

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Do a search for the traansfer case swap, I think there's more to it than just trading, but I'm clueless....

As for the gears, are you happy with how the truck runs now???? If so leave it alone. If it were my truck, I would want lower gears, prolly about a 4.56....

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there is nothing like hearing the words bogger, 8" lift & gas mileage in the same sentance.

u can not easily swap. adapters are way different & t-350 is 27 spline while the 205 is probably 10. easier to swap whole tranny & t-cases.

i love gears i would run 5.13's, but then there is that gas mileage thing again.