Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping ZZ4 into my 92 Yukon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blaze, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, the 350 is dead, so a friend of mine is selling me a brand new ZZ4 for $2000. What will it take to swap this into my 92 Yukon? I want to retain the fuel injection and all. I know the majority of it is a swap and go, but what about the fuel system, TBI, etc? Any pointers? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, the 350 is dead, so a friend of mine is selling me a brand new ZZ4 for $2000. What will it take to swap this into my 92 Yukon? I want to retain the fuel injection and all. I know the majority of it is a swap and go, but what about the fuel system, TBI, etc? Any pointers? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap $2k is an awesome deal. I love my zz4, good score!! Cant help with the swap though just thought I would share my enthusiasm /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Most of your stuff should bolt right on you might have to get a new computer chip depending on the cam you are going to run

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a ZZ4 IN my 86 burb.. Not fuel injected .. I think the heads line up diffrent on those then the 92.. The ZZ4 is for 95 TO 99 replacement.. I could be wrong thou...

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to look at the heads where the intake bolts to it. The ZZ4 should not have Vortec style intake bolt pattern, but the TBI intake you have most likely has the center bolts at a slightly different angle than the rest. A little die grinder action on those holes on the intake and they should bolt up. Just make sure to look and compare closely!

Sweet deal by the way!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A ZZ4 does have vortec heads, it also has 10:1 compression and a cam that is too big for EFI.

I don't really think there is anything you can do on an EFI system with a MAP sensor to accomodate a cam that big, but maybe someone else will chime in with a solution.

I'd probably consider finding a Vortec injection system with a MAF sensor and working from there. OBD II is going to make that somewhat difficult though.

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

How can you say the cam is to big for EFI... That is what that block was designed for..

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How can you say the cam is to big for EFI... That is what that block was desined for..

[/ QUOTE ]

The ZZ4 is a high performance crate motor.

It was not designed to replace any stock engine and it is not emissions legal.

I don't know what you're getting at. Maybe you could explain?

Just because it has Vortec heads doesn't mean that it is a 96-99 replacement motor. It has aluminum heads too, that doesn't make it a corvette engine.

9. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Actually the ZZ4 comes with the old (mid 80's-early 90's) aluminum corvette heads. I 'm not sure but i think the had the later, straighter intake center bolt angle. As for the cam, it looks big on paper but i've got 1 in my carbed 355 and it pulls 18-20" of vacuum at 850 rpm. Plenty for a MAP sensor. Makes big power all over too! My only complaint is the boring "stock cam" idle but it's the price paid for big low end torque.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My friend's brother said it would bolt up, but I'd need to upgrade my fuel system. Can't I just bolt up a 454 truck TBI to the ZZ4 intake and put a bigger fuel pump in there and it would be fine? I can easily get a computer chip burned for it, but I just want it to be an easier swap. I've seen a local guy with a 93 shortbed with a ZZ4 and a 454 TBI, but I never really got into how he swapped it. Just struck up a conversation with him at a stoplight, so no way I'll find him again.

11. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to chime in here: The ZZ4 does NOT have Vortec heads and the Vortec intake is different, but if you get the Fastburn 385 , you will have aluminum vortec heads.

The IROC MAF system is a bolt on if it is (IIRC) an 87 or earlier. Of course you are limited to 255 Liters of air or about 325hp since the MAF is 8 bit. You would do better to get the 16 bit LT4 FI system which is good to 425+ hp.

You can drill a couple of the intake bolt holes to fit if you get the wrong year FI system, and seal the bolt heads with RTV.

The spark plugs are angled, so you will need angle plug headers. Kind of a pain.

Great engine though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I am doin a zz4 engine swap in to a mid 80s buick regal at my shop right now. This engine is equipt with the fast burn cylinder heads and angled plugs.I am runnign a set of regular headers with no clearance problems .if you wanted to use a tbi intake the 4 center bolt holes would have to be modified as stated earlier. and i would see no problem running a 670cfm throttle body and getting a chip burned for it. The spec sheet only recomends a 650cfm carb.hope i was helpful /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, with the Fastburn heads, the ZZ4 stock dual plane intake won't fit and then it's not really a ZZ4 anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifThe TBI from a vortec engine will fit with the Vortec syle fastburn heads.

Also on the exhaust side, the ZZ4 heads have the D shaped exhaust ports plus angled plugs. I don't know about the fast burn ones, but there tends to be plug wire burning with some regular style headers. It all depends on the bends which tend to be tight on the first gen trucks.

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree that the 454 TBI will work just fine. That engine has a lot of cam, but not too much for even TBI.

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Geez, tons of info here, but all so confusing!

I have a ZZ4, non-Fastburn, just plain old ZZ4. I was told that it will all bolt right up on the fullsize chevy board. Is this true? Grinding the old intake and that is it? Any definite answers? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

According to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ , the ZZ4 intake will replace any intake on SBC heads 86 and earlier. The heads are angle plugs and D shaped exhaust ports like the 92-up LT1. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I thought you would use a 454 TBI with spreadbore adapter from an 87-89 truck. That will bolt to your ZZ4 intake easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know! So all I need is a spreadbore adapter and it'll swap right up?

19. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yup. Kinda hard to find those adapters, but not impossible.