Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway after shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Feb 22, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I recently installed an ORD 4" shackle flip in my '89 Jimmy. I am using the stock springs, and I replaced all the bushings with greasable polyurethane bushings. I have not driven it much, but it definately has a fair amount of "sway" compared to stock, is this a normal side effect of the shackle flip? It also seems like the steering is really vague, and it has pretty bad bump steer, I installed a set of heavy duty shackles up front which are longer than stock so im thinking this changed my caster (?) somewhat. Could this be what is casing my bump steer and if so how do I correct it? I already had it aligned and had both driver side ball joints and a new drag link installed.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It sounds to me that you have some loose steering parts causing a wander and sway. The higher ride height is going to cause more body roll but it isn't going to cause your truck to wander.

The change in caster with the ORD shackles results in your truck running at the same angle as the 88-91 trucks. ORD's shackles are the same length as stock shackles for those trucks. In fact, looking at it, you have an 89. The ORD shackles are the same length as the ones you took off.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I didn't notice much sway myself with my flip , but then again I run a front swaybar .

The front steering if stock , is pretty bad stock . Even if new components , and steering correction you will get a slight amount of bump steer .

I am lucky in I have so little I can still drive normally and never worry about it .

If its all new , and the steering box isn't old , try a new stabilizer :dunno:

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i never noticed any sway when i drove my truck with a shackle flip, i didnt have a front swaybar ethier. it could be cuz its a pickup and not a blazer tho.

are you running a swaybar?

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am running a sway bar, it happens when going over bumps in "off camber" areas of the road, such as intersections, that is when it seems the worst. It is all stock steering yet, I dont wanna do anything more to it since i am planning on a dana 60 swap by this spring as long as I can afford it so I will probably upgrade everything I can at that time. Oh and the sway isnt really a boddy roll type motion, it is more of a side to side movement, kinda like a truck with coil springs in the rear would do. Oh and I read that the shackles were the same length as the stockers for my year, but they definately look longer, guess I should hold one of my old ones up next to them to see, but there is definately more room between the spring and frame.

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

if youve got larger tires at the same time, they will have a larger sidewall which means theyll flex a lot more causing some bad handling characteristics