Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Bar Advantage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Sep 17, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering what the advantage would be to keeping the sway bar on my truck. I have a 77 Chevy 3/4 ton long box - 6" lift, 35" A/T's, and I am swapping in a TPI 350 if that makes any difference. What are advantages/disadvantages of ditching my sway bar? Let me know. Thanks!

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

Of course the sway bar is there to help control sway in corners but while putting in a 6in lift I dissconected mine and have not noticed a difference, I believe this is due to the increase in tire width over stock tires. I thought about a disconnect kit but to tell the truth the thought of having to reconnect the thing is not too appealing to me, I am lazy after a day of 4x. If it is a concern then use it.
    I don't race around anywhere in the truck anyways. I do take off ramps too fast though if it is any consolation and I have'nt flipped her yet. Good Luck!

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Swaybar? we don't need no stinking swaybar!!!Seriously I took mine off and didn't notice a difference.I had ORD's disconnect on before and got tired of trying to kook them back up after a trail.Big pain in the but!!So I sold them.Brady

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 4" Rancho lift and have removed my swaybar. The aftermarket springs are stiff enough to keep body roll to a minimum. Just dead weight to me, so I ditched it.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have 4" skyjacker springs and no swaybar. I can't even notice it except for quick sharp turns.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay guys, I am thinking about removing my sway bar, so here's my question. On those few times that you have noticed it's absense, how bad was it? A sphincter tightening moment? Just a whoa, that was a little worse than normal? Skidding around a curve sideways? My truck spends a decent amount of time on SoCal highways, so it is a concern for me. Also, my grandfather drove racecars, and I'm convinced that heavy use of the stupid petal is genetic in my family.....[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you drive in traffic, I'd say keep it and install a disconnect kit instead. You'll lose control easier without it.

As someone said in his signature: <font color=blue>it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

High speed corners can be kinda weird. As the truck leans side to side, it changes the distance between the pitman arm and the steering arm, which acts exactly the same as steering input. Then as the effective steering input changes, the amount of lean also changes, so it's a cycle. It makes the truck seem more vague in where it wants to go. If you push the truck into a curve at all, you find your hand wandering around a bit to keep it in it's desired path. The swaybar lessens that effect by preventing as much leaning. If you want to know what it's like without it, just pull out the two bolts that hold it to the axle and tie it the the frame with some wire and go for a drive.

Almost all lift springs are longer than stock springs, so the factory geometry of the swaybar is not correct with them. In fact, you'll probably have a hard time getting the swaybar connected without having the U-bolt plates on crooked. This incorrect geometry prevents the front suspension from flexing and gives a rough ride and limited articulation. The swaybar disconnect kit adds another pivot point in the swaybar link, eliminating the binding problem and smoothing out the ride. So with a lift, you really only have two choices: A swaybar disconnect or no swaybar. For highway driving, I recommend the disconnect.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Blue85

You mentioned that body roll would contribute to the oversteer problem in corners in a similar manner to bumpsteer. Would cross-over steering without the swaybar eliminate this?

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

10. Blue85

I think that you're right, Brian. Cross-over steering should reduce oversteer with body roll in the same way that it reduces bump-steer. I've never driven a truck with the crossover conversion, but I hear that the difference is quite significant.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I drove my 6" lifted 3/4 ton around for 2 years w/o any sway bar. I decided to swap one back on (with ORD disconnects, of course) and it made a 100% difference! For on-road driving, i will never go w/o one again. I used to drive this thing 75 miles a day to work and I could immidiately tell the difference. Better in corners and way better going over RR tracks!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have all swaybars on all three of my GM 4x4s removed. Haven't noticed a difference. Course, they're all lifted (6", 10" & 12"), so if you removed it with the stock junk soft springs, it'd probably be noticeable, but with lift springs it is not. Also, the crossover steering is incredible!! I could not believe the difference. My 12" lifted Sub with 39.5" Swampers will literally turn in a radius of about 1/2 the radius that it used to with non-crossover steering. Crossover steering is "THE BOMB"!!!

ken

13. Blue85

I would hate to see what a 12" lifted Chevy steered like on the trails without crossover.

Three lifted Chey's? We'll all pretend that we're not jealous :)

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700