Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sway bar AND cross over?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by CumminsChick, Apr 26, 2007.

1. CumminsChick

CumminsChick 1/2 ton status

ok, with the specs in my signature, can i keep my sway bar AND have cross over? i've asked around and searched some threads but i want to know if anyone has both bc i dont see it happening, but i could be wrong...and if you just have crossover and disconnected your sway bar, with a 6 inch lift and 35s, how big of a difference in normal driving is it, because this is my daily driver?

thanks in advance!

bp

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

It's been covered a few times. Crossover precludes swaybar unless you go with the high dollar ORD or equivalent bar. Body lean without the bar depends upon spring rate. 6" springs are usually pretty stiff.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I thought you couldn't keep a swaybar with a D60 anyways?

4. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I just put crossover on my burb and it has 36nch tires with a 6inch lift and it's my DD. Don't notice no difference without the sway bar, other than the crossover cleared up all kinds of steering issues I had due to the lift. Doesn't pull to the left when you hit the breaks, like it used to. Steering is 100x more responsive. Before crossover it used to take a full turn of the steering wheel to make a 90degree turn. And the biggest thing, is I now dont have to make a 4 point turn to turn around in a cul-de-sac. Turning radius was greatlky reduced. Crossover is the best thing you could do.

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

IMO sway bar is overrated!!!:rolleyes:

6. CumminsChick

OK: yes you can keep your sway bar with a Dana 60, i sure did.

The steering is embarrassing its so wide, i'm pretty sure a bus could u turn tighter than me!

86dieselburb: awesome yours is diesel for starters. mine pulls to the left hard when i brake too, ithought it might be a weak/bad caliper on one side, but its def annoying.

i am considering and looking at the ORD cross over stearing, anyone have it and recommend it? if not, what do ya'll have?

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I had 6" springs on my crew cab with 38" TSLs and had no problem with body roll. Threw the sway bar away and never looked back.

I have ORU (off road unlimited)crossover that I bough back in 2000 and it is still holding up. I will never purchase from them or recommend them due to SH!TY custommer service(about a month of runnaround saying "ya it is right here, we'll ship it tomorrow" everytime I called. Maurice will never see my money again. Their stuff is over priced too.

Every time I call ORD I get great customer service and quick delivery of my purchases. I will use them whe n I finally go histeer sometime down the road.

ryan

8. CumminsChick

yah i have worked with ORD before, very pleased. i may have a machine shop buddy of mine fab me up somehting, still debating. hrmmmm

9. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I am running the sky kit no sway bar and 37 MTR's love it!!:bow:

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

on my buddies 84 crew cab he has 38.5" swampers and no sway bar and he used Sky's kit. very beefy.

11. pennsylvaniaboy

pennsylvaniaboy 1/2 ton status

ditch the bar and go crossover you will be fine

12. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Cross over will turn your burb into a completely different truck, driving wise. Better turning radius is a nice thing.

I was baffled about the pulling thing. Don't know how many times I bleed the breaks trying to get rid of it. It boils down to GM/Dana's piss poor steering design that doesn't really work well with lifts.

I am running the ORD cross over. Love it, beefy and good service from ORD as well. I had them tap my steering knuckle also. I bought a spare right side knuckle so I wouldn't have to be without me burb. Sent ORD the spare to tap.

13. CumminsChick

14. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have ord now. will be going with nwf next time.

15. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

It's not a bad idea to go ahead and throw some calipers on there if you don't know how long the current ones have been on there. I think they are like $13 apeice after the core charge. Well worth it.

16. CumminsChick

the calipers were brand new when i bought the rebuilt axle (so maybe 1500mi old) that's why i was hesitant to blame them on the pulling.

17. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Anti Rock

I have B-52's and crossover with hydraulic assist. I would prefer a firmer ride. I am looking at Currie Enterprises anti-rock bar. These are typically for Jeeps but they make a generic one also. These supposedly provide the benefits of a sway bar without the drawback when off-roading. You do not have to disconnect them for flex.

18. CumminsChick

i got the cross over steering and they left my sway bar on there. i dont know how this will work when wheeling bc there is a tight fit, but i flexed it some and nothing hit, guess we'll wait and see when i wheel next. =) but it def does make a trememdous difference.

19. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I think x-over was the best modification I ever did and I am glad I did it before my other mods 7 years ago.

20. CumminsChick

sway bar is out now, tried to run it with it and flexing would cause the bar and my xmember to collide, so it has since come out, but i've noticed no difference. so i'm pleased!

~bernie