Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Bar and Steering Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rlhenry, May 13, 2002.

1. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm wondering how big a role the sway bar plays in handling problems in lifted vehicles. I know the sway bar, or more accurately the anti-sway bar, helps with on road handling but tends to limit off-road suspension performance. My question revolves around lifting vehicles without correcting the sway bar position. I run about 5 1/2 inches of lift but have never installed the sway bar correction/disconnect kit such as the one ORD sells. Instead, I have the swaybar mounted in the stock locations. I had to pull things together with longer mounting bolts at the front crossmember. It seemst to me this puts a large amount of stress on the springs as well as the front axle. I installed front shackle bushings over the weekend and when I removed the shackles, i notices the springs are a little twisted and bow out. In fact, I had to strap a come-along between the springs to bring them in close enough to get the shackles back on. Does anyone think this would contribute to handling problems such as Death Wobble?