Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Bar bushing upgrade...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Jun 30, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys! My new bushings arrived this morning, and after I catch a few hours sleep, I'm going to attempt to do as much as I can myself. Anyway, my question is...What is involved with removing the sway bar to replace the bushings? Is there any preload, or can I just unbolt everything while it's on the ground? Thanks for the help!

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Should be no pre load, should come right off. The end bushings I had to ream apart with a small drill bit and then knock what was left out. The new one are much easier to put in someties if you have a vice to press them with.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Once again Depdog, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Park on really level ground or you're going to have trouble putting it back in. Hope you have either air, or a really big breaker bar to get those 1 1/8 inch bolts loose.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm never doing that again! I got it off ok, and used Depdogs idea about drilling out the rubber, so the old ones came out easy enough, but getting the new ones in was a pain! I used a c-clamp and two pieces of wood to press them in, but it didn't seat right, and doesn't look very pretty. And I feel sorry for whoever I get to install my lift kit, cause it looks like I did the only easy job! I'll have to remember to give them a tip or something.