Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar disconnect

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, May 9, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of putting on a 2.5 inch lift and a sway bar disconnect kit from ORD. I've heard that I really don't need to get extended brake lines for such a mild lift. BUT, the thing that worries me is the huge amount of articulation I'll get from the disconnected sway bar. So with that AND the lift, should I consider longer brake lines? And if so, how much longer? I was thinking 4 inch would be safe.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Naa, I have a 4" with my aftermarket SBar disconnected and I move the mounts for the hoses down and that solved any probs I 'might' have had! Now if you hoses are worn from time you then may wana drop the 80bucks on a longer set???

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Chances are you will want to do some modification to the brake lines, either installing new ones or moving the brackets down. The best advice is to install the lift and disconnects and take it out and try it. Find a good twisty spot and slowly twist the suspension with somebody watching to see how tight the lines get.

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have a 2.5"lift and with the swaybar connected I found myself using the brakelines as limiting straps, that scared me so I went to napa and bought 6 inch steel tubing that fit the brake lines curved it down reconnected everything bled the brakes and havent had a problem since cost $6.00 for lines and hardware to connect the steel tubes to the frame at the stock location.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

5. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

With a little time,and a good guy behind the counter at Napa, you can find longer stock size rubber hoses that will fit, they should run you @ $20 a piece, cheaper that SS and longer than stock. Maybe an option. My lines are a littel long for my lift all i did was to attach a light spring from the center of the line back to the bumpstop bracket, it keeps them out of the way at ride height and compression, but allows them to reach out on extension without pulling too hard on the line. Just an idea if you want longer lines, worked for me.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a rancho 2.5 lift on my 75 and used the stock brake line with the supplied drop bracket. Plenty of line with the set up. With the springs brand new and only trail rode for about 3 hours with the sway off it did a 750rti on a 22deg ramp. I was shock limited both up and down without the extended bump stops. If you have the rancho springs you HAVE to use the drop bumps. The damn springs moved the eye (hence axle) back and if you don't use them you will bottom out the stock drive shaft. Till you relocate the shocks that's all you can get. You will need a raised steering arm. I was over extending my drag link with the stock one.
    There are 2 things I noticed big time about trailing it with the sway off. While on the ramp I only gained about 40on the rti with it off it is much more complient so when you do hit something with one wheel it doesn't jerk the truck as bad. The other is A lot less creaking and moaning from the body, inparticular the windsheild header where it meets the hard top (full top only). I also had a bad bump steer problem on the hwy when the truck would dart one way on compression and then the other way on rebound. Turns out the angle the sway will be at with the lift (no ord discons)was the culprit (my bent frame doesn't help either). The ORD discon's should take care of that. You will really be surprised at how much better the truck rides with aftermarket front springs. My 75 rides so much better than my stock 79.
    One last thing...your rear springs are shot. After you put these new front springs though rated 2.5 actully lifted the front of my truck 4 inches over stock (before they settled and compaired to the stock 79 with sagged springs). The truck will sit tail low unless you put 6 inch blocks in the rear. On mine I did a shackle flip so I got 4 inches and still sits low.
    Depdog steered me in the right dirrection here and what you want to get is a set of rear springs from an 85-91. They are a better design and come from the factory with teflon pads. I just located a set myself and hope to be getting them on this week. You can also take the overlead from the old pack and cut it down to make a 1 inch block. Dep did the same on his truck in the rear and his sits level with a set of 4 inch EZ rides in the front.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper