Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar disconnects?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 90blzr, Apr 23, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

On the sway bar disconnects, are they worth it if you dont "plan" on disconnecting the sway bar. Sound like an obvious answer, but I was reading that they relocate the sway bar for a lift and makes it handle better and everything. It sounds like this might be better to do this than get the sway bar relocation kit with the lift kit. Any info would be appreciated.

2. moose35

moose35 Registered Member

THE SWAY BAR DISCONNECT WORKS!!!

I get massive travel and articulation with the sway bar disconnected. My club members cannot believe what a difference disconnecting that thing makes in the rocks. It's worth the money and it's easy to install and use.

Is it worth it if you never plan to disconnect it? No, why waste your time, but if you use your truck in the dirt, this thing kicks.

Why would you never plan to use it? Is your truck a street truck? yuk

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Even if you don't disconnect it it is worth it. I remember an article in Petersons a few years back. They ramped the truck with a lift and the stock sway bar mounting and the sway bar connected...in the high 600's. Then they installed the disconnects and with the sway bar connected but 'corrected' it ramped mid 700's. Then they disconnected it and ramped in the low 900's...
    That was enough to get me to disconect my swaybar, oddly enough I never noticed any worse handling (my rancho's are kinda stiff) so I chucked my sway bar altogether.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I do drive my blazer on the street but I do go off road also. The reason I said I probably wont disconnect the sway bar was because I dont plan on cutting my fenders. So you think its better than just the relocating kit huh? Thanks for the help!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd get the disconnects anyways...the K5 bug usually bites hard and even though you may not want to trim right now you probably will one day soon. Remember fenders are cheap...[​IMG]
    If i only had a buck for every time I heard "I don't want to trim" and then the trim pics are posted a month later...[​IMG] Sorry you might be the exception but if not then you'll appreciate the extra flex when its needed.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I didn't think I would ever disconnect my swaybar either. And I wasn't sure if it would help that much. I bought a set of diconnects last week used. I put them in on Thursday. It is the best mod I have made yet. The handling improved by at least 80%. My wife drove in it yesterday and asked if I bought new shocks again. She didn't now I put the diconnects in. I probably will never diconnect them. But it is well worth it. And only took 15 minutes to install........Dan