Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar disconnects

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickstegeman, Jun 7, 2003.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

I am in the process of building my 85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, and I was told that I had to have a sway bar disconnect. I order one from 4Wheel parts in Plano TX. When I go to pick it up, my salesman, who drives a 81 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, says that he has the exact same one and it is a pain in the arse to reconnect, so he usually leaves his disconnected. He stated that there was not much of a handling difference. What do ya'll think of this? Can I return the kit and just leave the sway bar disconnected?? Or take out the bar all together? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

depends on how you drive, fast and tight in the turns then you better have them connected, easy through the turns and not as heavy on the skinny pedal, don't need to reconnect. like to switch lanes fast and often better connect them, etc. etc. Take a look at the kit from ord, much easier to connect and disconnect.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I agree with bulldog. If you use your K5 on the street alot then it's a good idea to keep them. If you do like I do and hardly use it on the street then dump the whole bar like I did. If you want a set of ORD ones, I have a set I will sell. ORD disconnects are easy to use if you keep your bushings greased up so the sway bar can move. PM me if you want them and/or the bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Dave

4. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I generally don't run a swaybar on my burb, but I can tell that my shocks are getting worn. Put the $ toward a good set of adustable Ranchos and crank 'em up in town.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my blazer is my daily driver and when i did the dana 60 swap i ditched the swaybar all together and have no regrets /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what i would do if i was you is take your swaybar off and drive it. if you like it or don't mind it off leave it off and return the disconnects. if you hate it put the disconnects on