Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sway bar drop??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jul 5, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone ever heard of it?? my buddys got a 90 like me with the 4 inch, but stock tires, and he gets bump steer, from what he described to me, and he talked to one of his dads friends that had a blazer too, and he said he dropped the sway bar and it stopped???

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4-6 inch lift sway bar drop brackets from skyjacker. Frees up some movement as well

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

What's a sway bar????

Anyhow, it might help a little dropping it down. You can also get a set of ORD discos and raise it up about 2" on the axle end.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ord dissconnects are the way to go cause they allow the sway bar to move in an arc an not bind up...

if it were me, id ditch the sway bar

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree I have not had a swaybar in almost 2 years:D . My truck is actually stiffer with the 4" lift springs than with the wornout stockers:D .

Ira

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I fitted the ORD QD kit and it smoothed out my suspension really well.

Then I junked the sway bar and never regretted it.

Then when I went to cross-over and found that for street use I was really 'pushing/pulling' the axle about under the truck at low speed manouvers so I built a QD panhard rod and it's sweet now!

7. NEK5

hmmm, i wonder if mine is...:thinking: ....if it isn`t i dont think i want to ditch the sway bar, unless you give me a good reason too, should i just get an ORD QD?

8. southernspeed

Mine had nothing to do with bump steer, it was just causing a very stiff ride as the axle tries to move in a different arc to the sway bar which is now (after the lift) at a steeper angle than before. The ORD set up REALLY made a difference to the ride quality. Plus they're easy to disco when you want more flex! (as long as you're on flat ground!)
    You can't use a sway bar with cross-over anyway, hence the panhard rod.

9. NEK5

what should i look for on mine?

10. southernspeed

Why? What problem are you having?

11. NEK5

well it does seem that the front is very stiff, and i get a little bumpsteer, i`m just wondering if the PO ever dropped the sway bar...

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably not. Most of the kits that I looked at neglected to include anything for the swaybar.

13. NEK5

so what should i look for to see if mine was dropped so that way if it isnt, i can

14. southernspeed

If it's bolted up to the chassis cross member direct and onto the spring plates direct it's stock. Unbolt it and go for a short drive. You'll notice a massive difference. Just don't try to race anyone or slalom any traffic cones until you're used to driving with out. normal driving you won't even notice the difference in sway.

15. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

For what it's worth, when I installed my 6" kit, the swaybar wouldn't even come close to going back on. I set it aside and decided if I needed I would get the ORD kit. I haven't spent the money yet and see no need to. Take the swaybar off and see if you really need to be concerned about it.

16. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's what I did. And I'll tell ya, when a Suburban starts swaying at 55+ mph, the pucker factor is high! The ORD disco is awesome.

17. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

I removed the sway bars on both my :k5: :k5: , 4" + 8" lifts. Both ride better without it. The only thing that sway bar is good for is:whistle: scrap.

18. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I go through more than a few traffic "roundabouts" just about every day. For those that don't have these fender-bender loops, you do a fairly hard right to enter the roundabout, followed by a left bank around it, then another fairly hard right to peel off the roundabout. The quick succession of right-left-right is just great for inducing body roll.

When I first bought the truck, it really body-rolled on the roundabouts like a boat in a tight turn (though leaning out rather than in, of course). New shocks helped a tiny bit, but poly bushings on the front sway bar killed a lot of roll, and the ORD steering brace also killed some swaying.

I can go through these things now at the posted speed, feeling stable, and without appreciable body roll. Being beefy enough to discourage most vehicles from pulling right in front of you helps a lot in this circular ballet, and little cars get cut off all the time by smaller SUVs and minivans. A K5 isn't an F-650, but it looks like too much potential collision damage to your new minivan to risk a bump.

If it was mostly a wheeler truck, instead of a 99% DD for me, I'd consider ditching the bar, but those roundbouts would be mighty wallowy without a sway bar.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have any good pictures of that setup?

20. NEK5

my truck sways in and out of the lanes a little on the highway, could the sway bar be the culprit? or my 20psi tires?