Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sway bar / lift question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Sep 14, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am putting a rough country 4 spring 4 inch lift in my jimmy as we speak, and i was wondering how much i need to lower the sway bar mounts off of the frame.

thanks
    ~~~ jeff /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well i run a 4" procomp (stiff but a little softer that rough country) and i don't have a sway bar, i drive my suburban on the road every day too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif seriously, rough country makes a stiff spring, so if i were you i'd ditch the sway-bar. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif it'ss ride softer and flex a TON better without it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. milspecjimmy

what about high way speeds, do you even notice its gone? i am running 32's till i get some bigger and it may be a while.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run a Superlift softride 6" lift. No sway bar at all and no problem on the interstate. Try driving without it, I doubt you'll need it.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I posted a similar question in the Garage yesterday. Take a look at it, I got quite a few responses.

6. milspecjimmy

ok, i am still not sure i want to remove it completely, its still an option, however, if i do keep it how much should i lower it from the frame? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Keep it bolted to the cross member but not at the axle and drive it for a few days...then if you feel the truck has too much sway get the diconnect/correction kit from ORD.

Rene

8. milspecjimmy

thanks guys

~~~ jeff

9. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Jeff ..
    I have the same lift installed on mine. I put the lift on it back in Oct last year and never did put the swaybar back on. I have not missed it one bit. There may be a little more bump steer and a little more body roll but you've gotta remember that you aint driving a sports car and it wont handle like one.

10. milspecjimmy

i just finished the front suspension, and there is no sway bar on it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , i am going out to start the rear after i eat. just for kicks i jacked up the rear to match the front(wich is now sitting on 32's) and the hood is at my chin! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif i wonder if they sent me a 6" by mistake?

11. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Hey Jeff how much did your whole lift setup cost ya'? Let us know how the ride and what not is.
    Thanks
    Dave

12. milspecjimmy

my lift cost 459.oo, i got it directly from ROUGH COUNTRY, and it took them 3 days to get it to my door. (from tenn to maine) its a pretty nice kit, the brake line brackets could have used a little more thought, and the kit did not include spring bolts, so add about 30 more to the 459. every thing in the kit has worked out nicely so far. i have the front all done. the only hang ups i am having is my rusted stock stuff, disasembly is a pain, but reassembly is easy.