Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar mounts got stripped!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, May 3, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Yesterday was my first time doing an add a leaf and it took a few hours. After getting them installed, I realized that I am going to need longer break lines (steel!!) so I decided to put my sway bar back on to limit my flex until I can get the new brake lines. We got the passenger bolt in with no problems and then put the front bolts in loose enough to get some play. Tried getting the driver side bolt in but it wouldn't thread. After messing with it for 20 minutes or so we thought we had it in but it stripped! =o
    Only the first few threads are stripped (female end; not the bolt).
    Anyone know how I can re-thread that? What tool to use or if I just need to get a whole new plate...

Geez, after all that work with the leafs, something so simple gets screwed up on a part that we weren't even upgrading or anything. =(

Thanks for reading my rookie thread!

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try to find out what thread size for the bolt. Then buy a tap so you can run it through the stripped hole.

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eric! I'll take the bolt over to the local supply store today! How are your mods coming along? You're truck is already lookin' pretty cherry. Can't wait to see it when you're done!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Chris, A tap that big is going to get expensive real quick. If you have the plate off bring it to me and let me take a look and see if I can help you out. It is always good to meet a local guy also. I am in Fremont and Eric has met me already, and if you haven't met Eric then you could kill (3) birds with one stone. Meet me, Eric, and get your plate fixed.