Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sway bar on ifs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman355, Apr 27, 2006.

1. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

I know every ones opinion on the sway bar for a k5 which is why i ditched mine. My question is on my dd 90 k1500 my swat bar is hitting the tie rod ends with very little flex. It has a 6 in pro comp suspension lift and no matter how many times i read the directions i'm still finding everything is on right. Anybody seen this before or if all else fails should i ditch the sway bar on this one too

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Sometimes DD street-only trucks only have to flex when they drive on on ramps and whatnot just to see how much flex they can get. Poser pics and that kind of thing. Do you wheel the '90, or is it street-only?

3. gmcman355

the truck does get wheeled fairly regularly. no rocks no sand just mud and dirt trails in the woods. flex is not so much the issue as i really need very little for my area but right now even the slightest rut or even potholes cause the two to meet. i cut the end links off last night and drove around the block. couldn't tell any difference but haven't had it off road yet or up to highway speeds. main thing is if i take it off is it still safe for road use.

4. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

Mine is not hitting. You installed it wrong i guess. As I remember you have to flip it over according to the directions. I would leave it on. I like the way it handles when it is on verus off.

5. gmcman355

if you dont flip the bar wont even come close to fitting. end links would have to be about 2 ft long and bar end would sit above upper control arm. not disagreeing that i could have done something wrong but can't tell what it is. do your tie rod ends slide in from the frt or back of the drop arm

6. chevyk2500hd

what do you mean by drop arm? Are you talking about the extension from the sway bar to the control arm?

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I have not had mine connected for years without any problems. I've just been too lazy to pull it out and make it official.

8. gmcman355

no the steering drop arm assy. the reason i ask is that the lift instructions seem to show the tie rod ends going in one way on the arm and the instructions for the steering stabilizer seem to show them the other way.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

10. chevyk2500hd

My tie rod are pushed in the center link bar from the front. The nuts on the tie rods are on the back side facing my rear axle. I ddnt use the steering stablizer because I made a custom dual setup. And my tie rod is at about 1.5" to 2" below the sway bar.