Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar purpose??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jun 3, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I need the truth, my axle has slowly bent every last time I've been offroading, progressively getting worse (my truss is obviously sh!t). I have home-made disconnects and use them often, but is this bad on my front end, not dispersing the force equally? It just cost me $250 to be re-straightened and aligned, now I'm going to weld up the front end and gusset it. Any opinions or ideas (beside axle trasplants - I'm a poor college kid) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

stop jumping it?

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Thats the thing, I have never jumped it. I have gotten the front end up only once going over a razor back, less than a foot; that was a year ago too. Could it be all the flexing I put it through? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Welding and gusseting is the only option I could think of. I haven't heard of this happening unless the truck has been jumped a lot. Make sure you get someone who has done this before. Some types of welding can actually weaken the tubes, so I've heard.
    The sway bar's purpose is to prevent body lean while turning. When you turn and one end is forced up, the sway bar acts like a torsion bar and tries to force the side that's lifted up back down. That's how it steadies your turns, but impedes your flex. There's no way the axle bending is the sway bar's fault.