Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Bar Question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jun 8, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Could anyone tell me where I can find a (Bolt On) Sway bar for my 1989 K5? I tried to look into aftermarket kits but most of them are for the longer axle P/Us. The K5 has a narrower/shorter axle housing. Thanks.....Det45

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Huh? Are you talking about a front sway bar?? Or a rear one? For the front, any stock one from a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton truck will work. As for the rear, do you mean your wheelbase is shorter, thus no long bed truck sway bars will work? Because the axle housings are the same width.

ken

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about the rear axle. Yes the K5 has a shorter wheel base thus requiring an shorter sway bar. I did order a Hellwig sway bar through JC whitney for the K5 and I ended up getting a sway bar that was too long. Help!

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm still not sure what you mean by being "too long". Does this mean that the brackets that would bolt the swaybar to the frame don't line up?

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to put one on the rear of a Blazer? Wouldn't that hurt articulation a lot? Or is this a street only Blazer? Just curious...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

There are no brackets on the rear axle housing because my K5 didn't come with a rear sway bar. The Hellwig sway bar was too wide so I couldn't bolt it up to the axle. The rear leaf springs were in the way. If the sway bar was about 2 to 3 inchs shorter (narrow that is) I would have been able to use the sway bar. As of now I only use my K5 on the street and the skid plates have no scratchs on them. (Sad I Know) but I do not know any hard core off roaders in my area so I haven't been entised to go 4 wheeling as of yet. Did the surburbans come with a sway bar?

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've never seen a Sub with a sway bar. I have seen 1 ton dually crewcab 2 wheel drive trucks with sway bars. I am talking about pre-'88 trucks and Subs.

ken

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Sway bars don't use them!Hurt travel!Never seen a stock rear sway bar on a 4by.Go check out the junkyards maybee one off a 2wd will work or maybee off of a older chevy car.Brady

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Need to get yourself a J.C.Whitney catalog....they have them in there for the K5...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

11. Peter J

Peter J Registered Member

Addco bar is what you want, Helwig does NOT fit right,as you've found. LMC Truck or ASI @ www.shox.com
    PJ

12. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

They may have sent you one for an s-10 blazer.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Did you order a swaybar that was listed for an '89 pickup? A lot of aftermarket accessory companies don't have a clue that the drivetrain of an '89 K5 and an '89 pickup are not the same. There is really only 3 years ('89-'91) when the Blazers and pickups are not basically the same. Maybe try ordering one listed for an '87 or older pickup as the rear suspension and frame should be identical. This is just a thought as I am constantly fighting the guys behind the parts counters as they always try to sell me parts meant for a '90 pickup for my '90 K5.