Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Bar Removal: Something to Think About?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jan 16, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about this after Hossbaby's sway bar question. Say I removed my (original equipment) swaybar from my truck, and I was involved in a wreck that involved a death or serious injury to another party, what are the chances that could come back to haunt me in court. I realize the 1st gen blazers and trucks didn't come eith them, and my blazer handles the same with or without it as far as I can tell. But a hot shot lawyer could probably rip you apart in court. Any opinions or thoughts on this?

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you have a very good point i would like to know about this also as i have been thinking of taking mine off also

wheeling pics

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont think it would be an issue at all, you taking off the sway bar. I am a claims adjuster and I have never had this issue come up, of course I have only been an adjuster for 6 months [​IMG]. I have never seen a police report with details on it about suspension parts...maybe if someones brakes fail they might put that in the report. If I were to go and look at a vehicle that had been wrecked I wouldnt care if it had the sway bar off....I see low riders, pimp rides, fast and furious wanna bee's...Nothing ever comes up about their suspensions..and some are not pretty..like heated springs to lower the front...real unsafe, but nothing we would pursue if they were the guilty party. Plus its the insurance company that would get sued not you. I say take the sucker off and wheel your brains out!

of course if you are to get sued, I cant be held responsable for sharing my opinion...[​IMG]

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if that were the case someone could go after you for not having the correct tire pressure, tire size, rims, engine oil, eye glasses, etc etc.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

5. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

Will that change the ride any or control?? give you more flex?

Mud! Its cool!

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

This is a good question. However, a lot of trucks came with no swaybar from the factory, so they would have a hard time getting you with anything. I don't think you need to worry.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Removing the swaybar will give you more flex. Hence the swaybar disconnect kits. It has been proven offroad and on the RTI ramp. As for handling, yes it does change. You will get more body roll in the corners, and more forward roll under heavy braking. Also I noticed a slite bouncing sometimes when I hit a decent size bump at decent speed. If you are interested in removing your swaybar either get a swaybar disconnect kit and install it, or unbolt your sway bar and see if you like the change. If you don't like the change you get by unbolting it, it is always a good excuse to replace the bushings in the swaybar which are most likely shot anyway.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

question is will you get in a wreck that big and live? lifted trucks have a higher death rate. it might not matter. also are they going to look at it? i doubt it. if they were to win in a casse like that they could get every guy on anything bigger than 35's. they have a sloppy effect most of the time also.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was thinking on the lines of my blazer smashing into a smaller car with four passengers, that kind of stuff. My blazer weighs a little under 4700 lbs loaded full of gas so I assume it waould do a massive amount of damage to anything it hit at any speed above 40 mph.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

My rig leans rolls and dives way more with the bar dissconected. I have the ORD disco's &amp; urethane(?)
    bushings. For daily use the bar is hooked up. The question
    is not can they get me but would you like to be responsible
    for a fatal accident due to a bunk mod you performed on
    your ride.-Jim

88 Silverado K5 5.7-700R-208-10 bolts-4.56-35in
    Procomp AT's- some ORD stuff & a CV driveshaft

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rather than remove the sway bar, just follow everyone's advice and get a sway bar disconnect system.
    When I installed the 6" lift, my swaybar wouldn't attach so I got the disconnect just so I COULD run a swaybar. And the ability to disconnect is great but thoroughly underused since I just mostly do muddy trails. But it's there.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Whether your swaybar is connected or not probably won't matter in an accident like that. So, that is irrelevant from the guilt standpoint. If you fee as though disconnecting your swaybar affects your handling enough so that you are more likely to get in an accident like that (hence the guilt from it), then leave it on and/or get the disconnects from ORD.

The swaybar was added as a safety feature. Just like later models even have one in the rear. If you disconnect it, they probably (a) won't know and (b) won't care. I doubt they would come at you with the approach that the disconnected swaybar is what caused the accident and death. If anything, they would come after you saying that the suspension modifications from OEM (i.e. lift, oversized tires, etc) are what caused the accident and death of their client.

But, if you are still unsure, put on the correction/disconnect kit from ORD. A little stiffer ride on the street with the ability for flex off-road is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

As far as the insurance company goes, be careful on that one. Your vehicle is rated and insured based on the OEM specs of the vehicle. This includes the standard safety equipment. You should notify your insurance company of all mods you make to your rig. And this isn't just for reimbursement purposes. If some savvy lawyer goes after you saying that the disconnected safety device was the cause of the accident and can "prove" it, then the insurance company may not protect you. This can be considered an alteration to the safety equipment voiding their liability. If a part fails (like your brakes give out), an insurance company must cover and protect to the limits of your policy. However, if you purposely make a modification that impacts the safety of the vehicle and they are not notified and agree to continue coverage (i.e. say you removed the airbags on a car originally equipped with them), then you are leaving yourself out there.

Just don't be naive thinking that your insurance company will always protect you. They won't protect for gross negligence. And they will only protect up to the limits of your policy. You are responsible thereafter.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!