Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar, trans case, '90 Suburban, stock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Sway bar, trans case, \'90 Suburban, stock

Guys- the old family 'Burb will soon become a street only daily driver for our youngest. Only 4-wheeling likely to be on the beaches here in NC, and up in the NC mountains, where it snows aplenty.

I'm replacing the rear leaf springs next week. Driver's side completely flat, passenger nearly so, so new springs to be installed at a local spring shop. This truck is bone stock and was not equipped with a rear sway bar. Since flex/articulation is not an issue, I'm considering installing a rear sway bar when the spring work is done. The question is: is this a straight bolt-on, such that I can get one at the boneyard and install myself, or should I have the springshop install when the install the springs?

I'm getting a whining noise, sounding much like a power steering pump whine, but coming from under the truck. Doesn't sound like a rear end whine and seems to be coming from "amidships". Plus, the noise only changes with truck speed, not engine rpm, again makine me think it's trans case, not transmission. The trans case housing around the case's tailshaft seems very warm/hot to the touch after 6-8 mile around town trips, so my suspicion is tailshaft bearings on the t/c. Any other thoughts? All of the rear axle, transmission, and the trans case fluids were just changed, so it's not just low. Oh yeah, this truck has 180,000 miles, and the trans case is original, never gone into.

Thanks for any advice,

Foy in NC

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: Sway bar, trans case, \'90 Suburban, stock

If your having new rear springs put in, I myself really don't think you would need a rear sway bar. The rear springs are fairly stiff. as for the t-case, first off I wouls check, and or change the fluid in it and see if it makes a difference.

good luck -Steve-

PS I did not know the burbs came with rear sway bars, I thought that was only on camper specials, big 10's and chalets/casa grandes.