Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWAY BAR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72GMCJIMMY, Mar 11, 2002.

1. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I have a front anti sway bar from a 73 to 79 Chevy on my 72 Jimmy. I need new bushings and can't find the ones that go into the end of the axle side of the sway bar. I can find the frame side no problem. The bar is 1 1/6 inch diameter. Does anybody know where I can find them?
    Thanks Rich

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.offroaddesign.com can set you up. I know Energy suspension sells them because I have bought them twice. If you need just the ends then Stephen at ORD can probably set you up. Becides you need the ORD quick disconnects /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I just went ahead and ditched the sway bar. Just limited my articulation. I really couldn't tell a difference with it off going down the road. I dont really know your situation though.

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Sway Bar? Whats that? Just kidding, I ditched mine also. But I rarely use my K5 for the street.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rich,

I just ADDED a swaybar to my '72....got all the replacement bushings and quick disconnects from ORD. The only thing that sounds "weird" is that your bar is 1-1/8" diameter. I think that like 99% of them were actually 1-1/4", and only a small fraction were the smaller size.

I'm not sure if that will change the bushing sizes you'll need, but you might want to double-check your measurement just to be sure.

FWIW -> The swaybar made a HUGE difference for me. I had body roll with my softer springs, but I added the sway bar to cure "BUMPSTEER" which was my primary concern. It did a great job of almost completely eliminating it!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

That experiment saved me the expense of doing crossover steering (~$1000) which I really didn't want to deal with yet.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just a side note to the posts on ditching your swaybar:

If it is strong enough to limit articulation logic would assume it would do a good job preventing sway and body roll. But if you have stiff lift springs up front you probably could run without the sway bar and not feel the difference. I run mine on my daily driver and disconnect it when I need to. It feels tighter in turns. But its all personal preference.

7. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone, Rich