Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Aug 8, 2002.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

Am I correct in assuming that most people just remove the sway bar altogether? If so what do I need, if anything, to do this? I noticed that there seemed to be special plates for them attached to the top of the front spring mount.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think most people still run there sway bars with the ORD disconnects.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i ditched mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif just unbolt from spring plate and the 2 front brackets and tose aside if you dont like it off then get the ord disconects /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It's pretty scary on the freeway,when you have no swaybar. If it's a daily driver I whould get the dis-connect's from ORD.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It seems every truck acts diffrent.. I have a 86 that I put the disconnects on. I hate driving that thing on the road with out the swaybar.. But I have a 77 that I took the swaybar off and it handles great with out it.. Both trucks have a 4in lift on them.. Just diconnect the sway bar at the axles and use a large tye strap to hold it up.. If you like driving with out it. Take it off.. If you don't then buy the disconnects...Dan

6. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

scared hell out of my self goining up cleer creeck canyon
    got the disconnects less than $100. and look cool as hell
    on there.
    90 jimmy 4inch lift 950/34s

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's going to depend on how stiff your front springs and shocks are....a more stiffly sprung/damped truck can probably get away without it.

A soft spring/shock will really "wallow around" on the highway, and will give you a VERY uneasy feeling......ask me how I know.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Mine was so bad, that I fabbed up mounts on my 1st Gen to use the 2nd Gen swaybar....and I did use the ORD disconnects which are an easy way to get the best of both worlds (on road / offroad)

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I ditched mine afeter my 4" lift. Before the lift, I felt that I needed it, after the lift, never better. It seems to feel a lot more comfortable now, like I've found a happy medium. Vehicles from the factory are made to have a (semi-) soft ride. After you lift one, often times that ride is stiffened up a little. I'd strongly sugest trying it without before you ditched it all together though

9. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

im running a skyjacker 4" lift and took my sway bar out all together.... i drive 45 mins to work everyday on twisty back roads and mine handles just fine... i guess it just depends on personal preference... anybody find that the turning radius improved with the sway bar off on the street??? mine seems to be tighter.. not sure though..

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I tossed mine in the dumpster after I installed my 4" lift(Rough Country w/ 1 leaf removed).Mine handles fine on the highway.Maybe it's the combo of the stiffer springs,RC 9000 shocks and the 38/15.50" tires that mine is fine.Remove it and see how you like it and then think about disconnects.Either way you will have alot more travel with it disconnected/removed.Mike

11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I ditched mine as well. It seems to "push" a little around corners, but other than that, I think it actually improved the ride. I did "test" it a little before removing it completely and I would recommend you do the same. I'm running a Rough Country 4" lift on 35s.

12. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

I DISC mine during lunch today after reading this post and IM going to finishing taking it off tomorrow.
    I have a 4inch tuff country lift with 16-35 boggers and the tires rubbed during full steering crank, after i disc the sway bar the tires dont rub and it seems to ride a hell of a lot better.

13. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

WELL HERES MY INPUT. I HAVE A 89 SUB LIFTED 6 INCH WITH 35S. I TOOK MINE OUT AND LOVED IT RIGHT UP UNTIL I BROKE IN MY BUSHINGS. MY HIGHWAYS ARE BUMPY AND I HAVE ALOT OF SIDE TO SIDE MOTION IN MY FRONT AXLE. i WOULD KILL FOR A TRACK BAR. THE DISCONNECTS ARE THE WAY TO GO. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif