Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway bars/Onroad handling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpikas, Jul 1, 2001.

1. mpikas

mpikas Registered Member

May 2, 2000
    OK, I realize that this question is somewhat ridiculous to ask about my truck ('92 full size blazer), since it has 33” BFG tires on it, sits kinda high..., but bear with me.

Any ideas what could be done to make it handle a bit better in the turns (besides lowering, shorter tires...)? It's already got good shocks, nothing in the suspension is loose/worn out (in other words it's working right), but I'm thinking of trying to find a rear sway bar off of a suburban and retrofitting it in the back (there isn't a back bar now). Is the front bar any larger on a 'burb or any of the heavier duty trucks (not sure I want to mess with it, looks like a bit of a project to pull the stock one out)?

Are there any reasonably priced aftermarket bars that work well? Any other ideas?

Right now, if I set the shocks fairly tight (adjustable Rancho's), brake dive and initial turn in is pretty good, but if you keep turning it slowly settles further over and doesn't turn as well, making off ramps annoying after the first 1/4 of the way around. Since it does occasionally see off road use, I'll probably rig the sway bars with quick disconnects...
  2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Aug 14, 2000
    Hi, I want to put a sway bar on the rear of my outfit also. They do make aftermarket ones, BUT, I don't like the small diamiter of them. There $175.00 also and bolt on. Want a rear sway bar for towing a large trailer, but there doesn't seem to be to many opions from Chevy. GOPHERKILLER