Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sway bars, wind gusts and tractor trailers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Feb 2, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I was driving to a club meeting yesterday and this was the first time I have had any problems with the rig on the interstate. I was running 70 and I was all over the road, counter steering this way, countering that way, then wham a truck would come by and blow me all over the other side of the road.
    Is this something that would be a "little" less noticable if I were to run some dis-connects? I lifted the k5 and removed the sway bar at the same time. So Im not sure if this is normal for lifted or if it is a prime characteristic of the sway bar being gone.

Thanks.

**WARN**ing, Something winching this way comes! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do you have tires that are matched front and rear? Or did you buy a pair of Bias TSL's for the rear yet? The only wandering I get with mine is in the grooves on the freeway where the Semi's run mostly.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I hadn't thought about it untill now but my last trip out I noticed it was unusually squirly in the heavy canyon winds on the highway. I've been running without a swaybar for about 4 months but haven't had any wind untill recently.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

the wandering was probably caused by a few things...
    big tires can make you sway due to the large sidewalls...when the wind blows into the side it can cause larger sidewall forces since the truck is being pushed sideways, which inherently will cause wandering at highway speeds....( this is one reason why the newest trucks are coming with 17 inch rims...same height, less sidewall = better cornering &amp; less sidewall flex in those conditions)
    and the removal of the swap bar didnt help either...the rocking motion that the cross winds cause will make you bank back and forth, and at speed that means weaving between the lines...