Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sway Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flyguy33, Jan 11, 2003.

1. flyguy33

flyguy33 Registered Member

Here's the deal folks: 84 blazer 3 inch body lift, no suspension lift all stock...33x12.50 tires on 15 inchers

Suspects: Sway bar bushings are pretty much shot, two bolts loose on the tranny tailshaft to the transfer case ( go them nice and snug already, car pulls to the right when I brake, and a crazy vibration from 40 mph on up and starts to smooth up at around 70 mph and up, tire and wheel have been balanced, and stud missing from the front right tire...Not to mention the shocks seems pretty worn out..

I still can't seem to get rid of the vibration, the previous owner said the driveshafts have been balanced, I'm now beginning to think i may have a loose wheel bearing or the sway bar is loose cause the bushings are shot, another thing I'm thinking of is there may be a suspension piece loose because everytime I turn full lock in any direction I hear a thunk from the front. Or is this cause I have some tall tires?? Anyone have any ideas???

Another thing is the truck sways a huge amount when I encounter rough roads or uneven pavement, is this normal or is this cuz i have pretty worn shocks, I've also been told that body lifts add a huge amount of sway to the truck, or is this all just normal??? I'm new to 4x4 so I'm trying to learn as i go, been at the vibration problem for 3 weeks now.....I just want her to ride decently so I can take her up to the snow....
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. unsane

unsane Guest

Suggest you PARK it and fix your problems before you GET HURT! Sounds dangerous.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sound slike you have to different problems. The sway: Look at the shocks, bad shocks will do this to you. Espacially in the back with the heavy hardtop.

the vibration: I would suspect two things. Bad U-joints or a bad front wheel bearing. To check the well bearing, jack up the tire and see if you can wiggle it around. You shouldnt be able to. To check the u-joints, put it in neutral and jack up the rear to get any tension off of the driveline. Grap the driveline and see if you can move it around while looking at the u-joints. If there is any movement, you've found it. Get a buddy to help you and good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You probably need to replace some tie rod ends and balljoints, and it sounds like your frame is cracked at the steering box

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wheel bearings, check them as described... also make sure your calipers have both glide pins in with porper torque on them, could be a sticking caliper causing the vibrations and for it to pull to the right, bad wheel bearings on the side it is pulling to can make it pull and cause the vibration too...park the truck till you check it...its a 30min job with the right tools but not something to put off for too long...

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Seems like if you know certain parts are bad, like the shocks and sway bar bushings, you ought to replace them first and then see if certain problems are eliminated, and if not, then maybe we can help better. I'm with unsane, park it and fix the known parts! My truck has a 6" susp lift and 3" body lift, tall skinny tires, and no front sway bar. The truck doesn't "sway" or lean unobjectionally through sharp turns. I just swapped in a D60 front, all new king pins, drag link and tie rod ends. It drives and steers really nice.