Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swaybar disco

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jan 29, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I want to put a swaybar disconnect kit on my '78. But what are the limitations of driving it? Do you need to re-connect it for faster parts of a trail, or on fire roads and that sort of stuff? Does it get very unstable on quicker twisty bits? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Input from those that found out the hard way would be much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Basically a matter of your personal feel for the handling of your rig....i know lots of people that take their sway bar off completely and throw it away.

3. southernspeed

And it's safe? Even on the road? I don't mind a bit of wallow but I don't want to visit the hedgerow uninvited!

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Its pretty much how well you know how your own rig handles. If you know the characterists of your rig really well, then go for. With my burb, I still tow a travel trailer, so I choose to leave my sway bar installed and just use the disco's when i wheel.

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I removed my swaybar completely. It really isn't bad I guess, and I agree that is in large part, how well you know your rig. I have driven it that way on any kind of trail you can imagine, way too fast at times, and long trips down the interstate a few times without incident.

Long story short, it works, but I am going to get another swaybar and the disconnects as soon as I get the D60 in.

6. southernspeed

Thanks guys. I guess ORD are going to get some overseas business then! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif