Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWAYBAR DISCONNECT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 21, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 K5 with 5 inches of suspension lift. I was just wondering if it is possible to disconnect the swaybar without extended brake lines, and not have them rip out while flexing? Also, is there anywhere I can find extended rubber brake lines that dont cost an arm and a leg like the stainless steel ones? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

try going to auto zone or napa etc. and see if they can cut you rubber lines the length you want.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm running no sway bar, a 4" Rough Country lift (a big 4 inches), and stock brake lines. While I haven't driven (or ever plan on it) an RTI ramp, my lines are still intact with mild offroading and jacking the truck all the way off the ground and letting the axle droop (the lines are just getting tight enough at that point for me to worry about them).

Go through the "list your part numbers" post in either the "advanced previews" forum or "bloody knuckle" (can't remember which one that's in). There will be the part number for rubber Napa lines that are about 5" longer and bolt right in place of your original ones...oh, and they're like $15. That's what I'll be replacing mine with!

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

you can get a complete set of Pro Comp SS extended lines for $89, which includes the rear line often forgotten by people. I would see what the cost of getting all new rubber lines vs the Pro-Comps would be, I am guessing the price difference isn't huge. Besides, you don't want to cheap out on your brakes, just not worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

check out ORD the have a swaybar diconnect I just got mine yesterday might want to check it out not priced that bad either like 89 bucks.....Jason

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

look at skyjacer ss lines there REALLY NICE!!! and are like $35 for just the front

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Alright yall. Here goes:
    SF87K5- I had the same idea and tried autozone but they told me they only sell stuff like that in original factory specifications. No lengthened ones.
    Heavy4x4- Thanks for the information. I didnt even know that the part #'s for extended brake lines were on the list of part #'s on this site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will check them in a minutes.
    82K5blazer- I know ORD makes a swaybar quick disconnect, but that isnt what i'm looking for. I am just going to get rid of the swaybar alltogether, since the front springs are stiff enough (ranchos). ORD also sells the extended brake lines for I think $97, but I dont really have that kind of money to spend on that right now.
    Chevy4WD- Thanks for the suggestion. I looked but couldnt find anything price wise about those. The only ones I saw from skyjacker were for the front and were like $85??
    Thanks for all of the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

mid eighties chevy van lines are about 5 inches longer. they have a bulky bracket thing halfway up that will have to just dangle. spanky has them on his k5. they are about $18 a piece and that is much cheaper than most DOT stainless hoses. and the rear hose is useless. just run double flare hard line in some sort of drop bracket and re-use the existing flex line.

RYan

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Regular 2wd brake lines are longer...
    Go the your favorite parts store and put the guy behind the counter to work.... have 'em pull every thing you can think of and compare lengths and prices....

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Regular 2wd brake lines are longer...
    Go the your favorite parts store and put the guy behind the counter to work.... have 'em pull every thing you can think of and compare lengths and prices....

[/ QUOTE ]

if you walk in and isist that he/i pull everything you can think of, i would make sure we were no longer your favorite parts store.... and after an hour of looking, you best not ask "how much is that" cheap sob's...

one humble counterman's opinion

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

My canned response:

These ones are for the left front of a 1994 2wd 1 ton and are around 25" long. $13.99 at Advance Auto. Napa wants $16.69.
    Tru-Torque (Advance Auto): H38873
    Napa: H38873
    Bendix: 78227
    Raybestos: BH38873
    Wagner: F124600

The actual right front one has a piece of metal on it for mounting. It costs $8 more than the others. I bought one and decided not to use it since it is shorter. The part numbers for it are:
    Tru-Torque: H38872
    Bendix: 78259

As a side note, the longer rear brake line is Napa #4138068. It is $13.99. I forget what it fits. It doesn't matter because I found it to be $4 cheaper at Napa than anywhere else.

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides, you don't want to cheap out on your brakes, just not worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, no kidding! Brakes IMO is one big area never to skimp in ever.

In the phone book you can usually find race shops who will make you brake lines to fit what you want. Often times they are made while you wait, and will be no more expensive then another other types. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

im running 6 " lift with my swaybar off and my line are fine. my advise would be to buy the braided lines with the disconnect at offroad designs. normally brakes are pretty important and it is not something to be cheap with.

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and the rear hose is useless

[/ QUOTE ]

Length isn't so much an issue, but a lot of these rigs are 20-30 years old, and it isn't gonna hurt anything to replace this line. So S.S. or not, it should be replaced. SO from the sounds of it it is gonna cost around $45 + tax for all new rubber lines, or $90 + tax for S.S. DOT approved Pro-Comps which are made my Earls Performance Plumbing.

I don't know for sure, but isn't the life span of the S.S. brake lines much longer? Just seems like a worthwhile investment, under $100 and could be the last brakes lines you have to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Extended brake lines are generally stainless because long rubber lines tend to swell, which would cause a pressure loss further down. Whether this is an actual issue, or just a marketing gimmick, I don't know. Good luck.

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the replies guys! The truck is actually my brothers, but I think he is going to advanced auto (our non favorite parts store) to check all of the lines to find the longest (and piss of the counter person). Oh, and BTW, the brakes quit working all together monday. Took all day yesterday to figure out that the Brake Booster had gone bad. $80 at autozone last night at 10:30. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Oh well, now for some longer lines and taking off that darned swaybar. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

18. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How long of brake lines do you need to use the original factory brackets? The Pro-comp ones are 25", is that long enough with a droopy suspension (I have 4" lift by the way)?

What is the best way to route long lines? Just cable tie to the shock?