Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swaybar disconnects

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by CyberSniper, Dec 31, 2003.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mighty fine product, my Dad even said they were nice. We're wondering what kind of paint it is on there because the only part that still has paint is under the sticker.

What about that hold up bracket? Is it just me or does it seem a bit low? It seems to me that the disconnects could come up and smack the swaybar and mangle the bracket and maybe the bumpstop bracket. Of course, I could be overestimating the flex possible out of my BDS springs.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Typically a seal of "Dad Approval" is a good thing, we'll take it.

We often use Hammerite (a glass reinforced paint) to coat the disconnects, but since they're in a bad place for paint durability, it does eventually come off. More black paint would probably stick to them now though.

The holdup brackets can be a bit low for a short lift, I push mine forward to get it out of the way on my 'burb but usually with a 4" lift or more, it's not a problem. We can't build them to hold the bar up much higher because the bar will hit the frame.

3. CyberSniper

Yeah, one of my friends told me it was Hammerite. See, I bought mine from SCJimmy "used" but they never left his kitchen table. By the time USPS beat the crap out of the box 80% of the paint that wasn't under the ORD sticker had fallen off. I figured it was brittle paint and before I painted them I wanted to make sure that I didn't use that paint. I'll hit them with Rustoleum or some kind of alkalyde paint if I can find it. People around here don't know what tractors are so it's going to be hard to find farm implement paint.

On my truck (4" BDS springs) it seems like I'd hit the swaybar/holdup with the part attached to the spring plate. I don't know how much my springs "flex" since I have always run a swaybar (minimal flex). I have another inch the swaybar could go up which should cause the spring plate to hit the bumpstop before the rest of the stuff could hit each other. I was just curious if you guys knew something I didn't.

Anyway, awesome product. I was so afraid that once I drove the truck it'd be a nightmare to get everything to disconnect and connect right. That's simply not the case. I might have to buy new lynch pins periodically due to living in the rust belt but that's expected.

4. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

not to completely hijack this post. . .but. . .

i just got a set of these froma friend and i am wondering where the "D" shaped bushings go. they look like they might go over that metal cylinder that has the swaybar bolt going through it. but i'm not sure.
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    sean

5. CyberSniper

Do you happen to have a picture?

Are you talking about these things?
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/swaybarbush.htm
    Those go up on the crossmember (they're the bushings that go between the frame and the swaybar). My straps don't look like that so I had to cut the bushings so they'd fit in my straps.

6. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

yeah that's them guess i should have searched a little harder. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    thanks!