Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swaybar Question for Greg72 or anyone?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyblazer, Jan 9, 2003.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I installed my custom ORD front 4" lift springs in the Blazer a few days ago. Wow much better ride, nice and soft. My steering is all lined up and I'm happy except for the body roll and it's result...roll steer. She's a little squirrely in the corners above 30 or 40 mph! I plan to install a swaybar with ORD disconnects so I headed to the bone yard to find a doner swaybar. I only found a couple from mid-80s subs with 10-bolt axles (different U-bolt plates I think). OK finally on to the question.....did you fabricate the front swaybar mounts on the frame crossmember or do the earlier (73+) swaybars mount up differently. Thought I'd check before I pull out the welder.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sky,

I got a setup from a late 80's K5....the upper spring plates are tapped for the bolts that hold the swaybar on....I'm not sure how a 'Burban mount might be different.

As far as the pivot mount are concerned....YES, you will need to fab something up, since the 1st Gen guys never had a sway bar we don't have the hangers. I did a couple simple brackets off the engine crossmember. Just install the ORD stuff and then rotate the bar up to where you want it to be....it'll be close to the crossmember anyway. You should be able to visualize the type of braket you'd need to hold those pivot mounts in place.

IIRC....I made mine out of some 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock and it worked fine. It's worth the trouble....the swaybar really improved the road manners of mine, especially after I'd installed SOFT springs up front. I could barely keep the truck in it's lane after a bump without the swaybar.

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Greg or skyblazer
    I am planning on getting some ORD springs and was wondering how much lift you guys got from a "4 inch" lift. Could you measure from the top of the axle tube in front to the bottom of the jounce bumper bracket? Would be interesting to know especially since one truck is a small block and the other is a big block. I am interested because the skyjacker lift on my 72 was a 4 inch set that actually measured 5.5 inches. I think my frame has more flex than those skyjacker springs. Also, have your springs settled any?

Thanks
    Louis

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can take some pictures of my setup if you would like?
    Oh and did i mention, I'm selling it as well, disconnects and all.
    PM me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Mine measures 12 3/4" from the axle tube to the bottom of the bump-stop bracket (not including the bump-stop). I didn't take measurements of my Tough Country springs, but I'd say that I'm sitting 1 1/2" to 2" lower in the front. My old springs compressed about 1" with the load of the truck. I think these compress about 4". Much better ride quality though. I have only had mine on for a few days so I can't give you much info on settling, but Steven from ORD claims that if they are not flexed beyond there designed range settling should'nt be a problem.

6. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Greg. I'll have to go back and measure the burb plates again...I was in a hurry yesturday. The brackets should be fairly simple to fab, but it's always helpful to check with you guys for a second or third opinion.
    Geez, I just noticed that I'm blue again.....I'll have to fix that.

7. Greg72

Louis,

When you say "ORD Springs"....do you mean that Steve is making you a custom set? That's what he did for me, I had to provide some basic measurements of the existing setup and some accurate vehicle weights, but he did a perfect job of designing and building my springs.

BTW -> I don't think I can give you a valid measurement anyway, I don't have the factory bumpstops anymore....

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Greg, what lift are you running in the front? you might remember my set-up in the front. Was looking to add new leafs to it but I really don't have much experience with the different rides and flex. i think I'm doing ok with the flex but guess i just need to ramp it with what i have and get info on the 4"-5" inch leaf pack.
    [​IMG]

9. Greg72

Tony,

The springs Steve Watson designed and built for me are a 4" lift..... 9 thin leaves, 45" eye-to-eye, and about 240 Lb/in rate...... VERY SOFT!!!

10. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

skyblazer - thanks for the measurement, mine is now about 10.75, but I lost some lift by removing two of the leafs from my current set trying to soften it up.
    Greg - yeah, I am planning on having ord make me a custom set but have been procrastinating because now I'm trying to figure a way to put my 1ton cucv frame under my 72. Would really like to take advantage of the longer springs and stiffer frame

11. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I measured three 80s burbs and one blazer, all with 10 bolt fronts and the spring plates have a slightly wider bolt pattern....about 1/2" ...and 3/4" wider at the right inside u-bolt. The axle tube is slightly wider on the 10 bolt and I don't think my brand new ubolts will spread enough to compensate. Anybody have some spare spring plates for a dana 44 that will accept a swaybar??

12. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, I'd like to see your set up if you can take some pics. I'd be interested in wheeling and dealing on your setup as well. Send me an email at my yahoo address.

13. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status