Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swaybar question/idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Apr 1, 2004.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We all now with x-over steering we lose the ability to use the factory sway bar. So my thinking or idea if you will is if you have a super flexy rig that does see street time and there is a need for a swaybar why cant we use the NASCAR style of sway bar and use QD's to disable it while offroad. If I am totally missing something here let me know. It is just a thought I have been having. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif+ /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif= /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

the problem arises with cross over is that the sway bar won't work with the drag link going across to the passenger side someone correct me if I am right ....Jason

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ko help out us folks that apparently don't pay enough attention to the cut away car on tv to know what the Nascar style is. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'd be very interested in a setup like that. I haul a lot of crap with me to Nevada from Cali and the idea of doing the asphalt twisties absent a swaybar doesn't exactly blow my skirt up.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You mean torsion style sway bar. When off road unlimited does a straight axle swap, thats what the truck gets. I would assume it works with crossover steering, as thats what those trucks get. The bar would bolt on to factory frame mounts, and have splined ends. The links will run from there to axle ends. I believe disconnecting it will be as simple as loosening the clamps on the end of the bar. Of course it will need a little working, but any CK5 guy can figure out how. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I guess that is the technical name for it The first place that I had seen that type of sway bar was on the rear of a NASCAR WINSTON cup car. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif<=Air Force salute /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you look here Straight Axle Swap you will see the sway bar that these people put on the trucks they build. I wouldn't pay them to do any work, but the swaybar pic should give you an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Nice postage stamp picture they give you to see it. I better eat four dozen carrots and get some normal sleep then I might be able to view it with an atomic microscope. Where in the heck did they bolt it?

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice postage stamp picture they give you to see it. I better eat four dozen carrots and get some normal sleep then I might be able to view it with an atomic microscope. Where in the heck did they bolt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I spect that'd prolly do the trick that you're lookin for. It mounts in the stock holes and it gets the bar up and out of the way with those arms and linkages. As far as quick disconnects, one would think that undoin the two bolts at the axle wouldn't be that difficult. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan