Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swaybar ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Apr 23, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Swaybar ?\'s

Is a 74 the same as a 79 and what end goes to what side, also what side of the spring pack does it bolt to. If your facing the truck does the swaybar bolt to thel eft side of both spring packs, and does anybody have good pics of there swaybar w/ disconnects.I just put a lift on my truck and I'm trying to put a 79 swaybar in the place of the one I took off and hook up disco's and I want to make sure I didn't fall down and bump my head somewhere along the way.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Re: Swaybar ?\'s

I have some pics of my disconnects at the link below page #2

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fumes....,

I can't answer your "production" questions but the basic info I can give you is this:

The bar has a really "crooked" side to it. That goes on the passenger side. The reason will be obvious when you see the stuff it has to not hit over there.

Looking at the front axle from the front of the truck.....the upper spring plates are positioned so that the bolts for the swaybar are on the left side on both the driver and passenger side.

To prove it to yourself.....loosely fasten the plates to the swaybar as I indicated and lift the bar into position to "check" that it looks right.

My setup is on a '72, which never had a swaybar but I know that what I described works for me. The only parts that needed ANY tweaking were that the passenger side needed about 1/4" of shims to space the ORD disconnect slightly further to the left so that the bar ends would drop right in. Also the hanger bracket that you use to secure the bar out of the way when "wheelin" doesn't work right on the 1st Gens so I had to drill a new hole for it. Oh yes, and the engine crossmember doesn't have any brackets for the sway bar pivot bushings, so I had to weld in my own! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I used the setup in Hollister over the weekend and it worked AWESOME. Nice highway manners, and once I disconnected it (without any tools) it flexed great. At the end of the day I was able to reconnect the swaybar (again without any tools) and drive it home.

NICE...... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Greg got it right..........if the swaybar I provided doesn't work, use your swaybar with all the parts in the kit. Let me know how it turns out.............

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OK I didn't screw anything up, the swaybar must be different or I was just lookin' at it funny.I was tryin' (unsuccessfully)not to get grease all over my white shirt. Thanks guy's.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

So what did you end up doing? Using your bar?

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the one from my 77 if you need it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i dont /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i dont think it is any different than the one you got from frank though but if you need it its yours /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The solution to the problem was putting on coveralls, Then it was way simple.Before I was trying to put it together by not getting under the truck all the way, so after getting grease on one of my ONLY clean shirts, I threw on the coveralls and hoked everything up in about 15 minutes.Simple install and yes I ended up using your bar Frank.... thanks guy's

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I got a quick swabar question also. I am removing mine and tossing it in the trash. So what size was the LARGE bolt on the spring plates. I do not have a socket that large and I need to go buy one. Mine is a 1979 k5. Thanks everyone.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

1 1/8......