Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swaybar, swaybar discos, or no swaybar at all??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 14, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So the build-up of the m1008 is about to begin and was wondering about the swaybar issue. It will have a 4" lift, zero rates all around and 36" tires, for starters. It is going to be driven on the street, how much we don't know yet. So my question is should we run the swaybar, get some swaybar disconnects, or ditch the swaybar? I have the swaybar disconnects on my stock Jimmy, but I never disconnect them because they are so hard to reconnect. One of my main thoughts for the disconnects is still being able to run the swaybar, with the option of disconnecting it, and having some on-road manners. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Many people run with out the sway bar. It's a little more body sway but its not uncontrollable. I had the same concerns when I took off mine for cross-over steering on my D60. Since then I have taken long trips in the mountains and have driven in excess of the posted limits coming down the mountains with, IMO safe handling characteristics. I have 4" lift and 35's.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My sway bar was removed long ago after being disconnected for many months with no noticable 'bad handling'. My front springs are pretty stiff though. If you're planning on really soft front springs you may want to go with some form of disconnects...

Rene

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I trashed mine and noticed that it rode better. Its cheap to take it off and see. If you dont like it, then you can get the disconnects or even take them off of your other ride if you dont use them.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I took mine off.. the first tiem I drove it I almost flipped.... second corner was much better.... It takes soem getting used to but once your used to it it rocks having no sway bar off road... If you only drive on road, then keep it... if your gonna do occasional off-roading, then do discos... just disconnect and tie up out of the way and go for a drive.... but dont do the freeway with it just tied up.... but go around some corners and see what you think... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a lot of it is your driving style. When in the k5, i'm very careful and take it slow.

I am running 40's, no sway bar, blown stablizer, Springer Suspension with no track bar, and semi stiff front springs. i get a bit of body roll, but i am used to it and adjust my driving style appropriately.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

None for me thank you. I lost mine about six months ago and haven't looked back. I had the swaybar disco's and I only used it once. I disconnected for a trail, and didn't reconnect after. I drove home without the swaybar and I didn't mind it. A little more body lean, and some more diving under hard braking. (I have 2.5-3" lift with 32's) I have had my friends say to reconnect the swaybar as the body can lean pretty good sometimes. The only time I have ever wanted it back was when I hit some good crosswinds on the highway at about 70mph near Florence Junction, AZ. It was a little scare as my springs are a little soft being only 2.5" lift springs and not having any rear shocks right now. Beyond that I have never wanted it back.

Harley

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

11 inches and 38s. Disconnected it, went for a kwik ride, came back to shop, took it off and tossed it in the scrap pile. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It takes a LITTLE getting used to. Unbolt it and see how it feels, be careful it will sway a bit more, if you can live w/ it take it off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Me personally, I like having a swaybar. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I run disco's and do not have any problem with them. I have driven with it unhooked before around town and it is fine. But for long hauls and driving in the mountains, I just prefer it to be there

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I took mine off about 6 months ago...disconects aren't worth the time and effort to unhook/hook them up and the $$$ top buy them...Just toss it and forget it...

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I trashed mine on my 89 but I am planning to keep the bar on my wifes 90. It does not bother me not to have one but I know how she drives. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif