Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWB and gooseneck/5th wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Jun 21, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Still going through my dilemma of deciding which tow rig to buy. While I would love a GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually, that's a big freaking truck for daily driving around town. I am also considering the SWB 2500HD Crew Cab. But, I have a question. I am expecting to tow the Jimmy on a gooseneck trailer. I will also be replacing my small travel trailer with a 5th wheel trailer in the next few years.

Should I be concerned with pulling a gooseneck or a 5th wheel with a SWB truck? Can I do this setup and still have a toolbox mounted at the front of the bed? Or am I going to have clearance issues?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got 2 friends that pull 33' and 28' travel trailers with a 5er and SWB truck. Go and look at travel trailers. Quite a few come with an offset hitch that sticks out furthur than the others. The guy that has the 28' trailer has the hitch that is offset which is becoming more and more common and never even gets close to hitting. Now the guy with the non offset 33' trailer doesn't even think about hitting either under normal circumstances. But I was with him memorial day weekend at the lake when he got the truck/trailer twisted up and was backing the trailer. One corner of the trailer popped the cab of the truck and left a little ding. But he's been pulling that trailer for a couple years and that's the first problem he's had.

Also Pull Rite makes a sliding 5th wheel hitch for short bed trucks, but they're very expensive to the tune of $2500. I think with a gooseneck, you'll not have any problems. And if the overhang on your trailer clears it by a few inches, dont see a reason not to run a toolbox. I went SWB for ease of parking and handling and I dont rethink my decision for anything. Love the truck, love the power, sport truck look, and ability to pull anything i can sling behind it.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

first let me ask one question you did say a extended cab 2500 that wouldn't be a SWB(short wheel base, well maybe compared to a crewcab) A short bed pickup will have not problem with a tool box, I prefered the chest style box in the trucks with 5th wheel, but make sure you measure. I thought this post was about the towing charistics in a SWB vehicle like a shortbed regular cab pickup, those can be scary when towing a heavy 5th wheel. But the extended cab truck is alittle long with a short bed then a regular cab long bed(if i remeber correctly) none will tow as nice as the crewcab, long bed and the longer the wheelbase the better the vehicle handles the load. One thing to remeber is fith wheel trailer is much easier than bumper towing due to the weight being over the axle, instead of on the fartest point of the truck. just my .02 Jesse

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

He's talking about 3/4 ton trucks...so I'd assume he means ext cab short bed or crew cab short bed. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Plus you'd better hurry up and get it, noconna's just around the corner!!!

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

yeah, i meant shortbed, not SWB. I will be going Crew Cab no matter what route I take. One of my big reasons for doing this is that I have a 3,000lb travel trailer (small) and a 5,000lb boat. Towing was never a big deal when the rig was stock. Now, with 35" tires, suspension and body lift, spare tire and lights on top, detroit in the rear, and a stance that measures in at over 9' tall, towing has become an adventure. Because of that, I have decided to ditch my firebird, convert my truck to trail only (or at least no trailering or long highway drives) and get a real tow rig.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I will probably wait and order a new 2003 as an xmas present for me. Until then, my rig drives to all wheelin!

Including Nocona in a week!

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The only problem my friends son in law had with his 3/4 ton short bed ford 4x4 was he had to buy a extended box for the trailer half of the 5th wheel hitch. Other wise he'd have hit turning tight.