Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWB pickup VS K5 dimensions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Nov 24, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thinking about scrapping my K5 body next year once it gets beat down a bit more. What I'd like to do is a Std cab pickup cab and a flatbed. I'm just curious about frame differences in the two and in what the distance between the back of the cab and the end of the frame will be.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

K5 wheelbase, 106.5"
    SWB truck, 117"
    LWB truck, 131"

The difference between a SWB and LWB truck is both in front of and behind the wheels I believe. Not sure on the K5 thing at all.

I'm tellin ya, I'll trade ya straight up for my truck Bryan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

maybe 4 months ago...

not now after most of the gremlins are out....

thanks though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

117.5"
    131.5"

and 69-72 k5 were 102
    67-72
    shortbeds 115
    67-72 longbeds 127 for 1/2 ton through std. 1 ton
    67-72 1 ton steps were 9 foot
    and 68-72 longhorns were 8.5 foot

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe 4 months ago...

not now after most of the gremlins are out....

thanks though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't serious anyway....no offense but I wouldn't trade my truck to anyone. It might be hammered but it never lets me down after 4 years of wrenchin on it. I plan on getting a K5 to build up and make nice so I can have it for a DD, and keeping my C30 for a tow rig and buildin' up the K10 to 'wheel.

Bryan, I just can't see how you could say that your truck's body is gonna get, "more bashed up". From what I've seen it's not bad at all!! It's still pretty nice. You've got a while.

Mine on the other hand.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bryan, good choice if you decide to go with a SWB as they are the more ideal candidate for off roading as they WEIGH less than a Blazer or a K30. Somewhere around 4400 lbs. give or take. Makes them the right wheelbase and weight of vehicle to use for playing with, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1st gen K5s are 105" WB not 102" WB.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I think it'll be about right too, but it'll be a pickup cab and front clip with a flatbed on my K5 frame...I've just got too much blood sweat and tears into this thing at this point to mess with building something else...I really just want a more /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifversitile truck

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Bryan, good choice if you decide to go with a SWB as they are the more ideal candidate for off roading as they WEIGH less than a Blazer or a K30. Somewhere around 4400 lbs. give or take. Makes them the right wheelbase and weight of vehicle to use for playing with, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what you told me last year, and precisely the reason that I built my truck as a SWB vs. a LWB, even though I could have got a LWB frame free.

SWB pickup is the lightest fullsize Chevy truck from the factory.

Wes, you can credit yourself with the reason that I still have a shortbox. The longbox was looking real good for driveline angles until you mentioned the weight issue.

I'm happy with my decision. I feel bad though, the instant Bryan saw my truck the 1st time, I heard him say, "I want a pickup." /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I feel responsible for making him do all this work.

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had a few SWB's in the past and certainly miss a few of them. I quickly realized at the times I owned them, they were the best trucks to use simply because of the weight issue. Having a strong SBC and the SWB would allow the truck to perform flawlessly off road. I just have not experienced a SWB with a BBC yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My ideal SWB right now would be the '67 to '72 years, preferrably the '70 for my birth year. I also want one of these simply because the K30 axles will bolt right in without relocating the rear spring perches. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally like the 67-72s too. If I could find one that wasn't rotten, I would have one over the 81-87s. I especially like SWB pickups. My next rig is gonna be a blazer though.

I have seen first hand a shortbox with a big block. Even with 33s, they'll fly through the mud, that's for sure. My buddy has a '79 F150 with a 400M, and even though a 400M is pretty weak, it's still bad ass.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey guy, dont feel bad. It's just that i have always had a pickup truck. I feel a bit hampered by an suv. Can't haul big things and have had to borrow friends trucks twice. Of course, the 5 or 6 times 4 or 5 of us go cruising in the summer is nice too. Big trade off I guess. Biggest trade in the winter since I typically only carry the 2 of us, and the hardtop is on...

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Man I just don't get it. I love my trucks and all, but if I had it to do all over again, I would have built a Blazer to 'wheel becuase the top comes off and probably built up my tow rig as a LWB truck. The tradeoff I've made (wanting an SWB) has forced me to pull my K30 apart so I could make a K30 SWB.

Get a junker pickup or something. Then you can have the best of both worlds. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I dunno I just like your Blazer I guess.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i can only have 2 vehicles at my townhouse, and i'm already breaking the rules by having a little workshop in the garage and not a car. I just need one good truck. I like my blazer too, but i miss a pickup now and then. Maybe once i get my tailgate window fixed I'll enjoy it a little more. It's a mega-pain to feed things in through the front doors. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I can't talk you out of your Blazer so I'll just tell ya that I'll buy your tub when you're done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I love my long bed but I've been wanting a blazer since I was a little kid I just want a clean silverado injected with 35's and a 4-speed with a NV241 and SF14bolt and dana 44 front with 4.10's ....... not that I've ever thought about it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I also like my stepside (shortbed) except for the ride it rides much rougher than my longbed (which has 4" more lift)

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was going to build a crewcab pickup, but I think it's going to be a Blazer instead.

I think mine will be a 4 speed or 5 speed manual 4.10 or lower gears if it has overdrive, 6" with 35s, a port injected small block, and 3/4 ton stuff (FF rear).

18. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I'm gonna sell the burb and replace it with the above mentioned K-5 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif