Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swear word: Car wash

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

So i know many of you probably don't wash your truck all that much, seeing that they are for go not show most of the time. I am starting this tread because i am big into the mud and wonder if you guys have any secrets about getting mud off the undercarriage. Same applies for salt under there, i am trying to wash the blazer every other week this winter to get the salt off there. Nows when i wish she fit through car washes lol. My favorite trick is front wheels on the curb, gives me more room to lay under her and wash it.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well.. not sure how well this will work up north at this time of year... but, some guys throw a sprinkler uner the truck and let it do the underside for them.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sprinkler??..HA!..not here...

A sprinkler would turn my driveway into a nice skating rink tonight!--its 23 degrees here now!..our "mud" here is mostly clay..I bought my 74 K20 from an "Off Roader" who buried it quite a few times in the clay,judging by the amount of concrete looking clumps that were so firmly adhered to the undercarriage it took hammer blows to break it off!..

I had that truck since 1990--I washed the thing a hundred times,even used a pressure washer on it once!..I never succeeded in getting all the clay off the firewall where the tires had flung it!..stuff was like mortar,not mud!It was still there when it went in the crusher this July!....I sincerely doubt a sprinkler will remove much of the "mud" we have here..other states and places ,--maybe..depends of what type of dirt..

I'd say high pressure,and HOT water with soap is best..even the car washes here,which had decent pressure and hot soapy water,didn't seem to phase the mud on my truck though..a Steam Cleaning might have done the trick..either that or sandblasting..:wink1: ..

I read somewhere in an off roading book if you apply liberal amounts of Linseed oil to the frame and underbody,it will keep mud from adhereing so well..supposedly keeps rust at bay too,and lasts quite awile before you need to apply it again..many guys around here use drain oil on their trucks frames and undersides..it works,I've seen several "oldies" that are still in great shape,despite daily use in salty winter weather..

I think Deisel engines used oil is best--the soot makes it cling better to the frame,and doesn't wash off easily..one local garage made a habit of disposing of the used oil on his customers cars by spraying the underneath of their cars with it!..all the grandmothers with their 30+ year old Impala's and Buicks had mint undercarriages in their cars that went there for service..:crazy: ..

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

At one of my wheeling spots we would just go through a water hole that was deeper than the floor pan and drive forward and reverse a few times after wheeling in the mud and it would wash the undercarriage clean leaving most of the outside covered for that mudder look in town

5. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

im with the sprikler idea but i usually drive mine on some rocky trails after my mud has dried and it vibrates all the big sh|t off.

6. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Down in Baja lots of buggies and 4X4s get run through the salt water on the tide flats. A grizzled Baja old timer once told me the key to salt corrosion prevention was to get a lawn weed sprayer and coat everything with turpentine. Don't know if it would help at cleaning time, but would be worthwhile to try if you're gonna be under there anyway!

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

pressure washer.................

8. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Take it to the car wash but don't go in the drive through. Find a car wash that has one of those ports you can drive into, you put in some quarters and pressure wash what you want cleaned yourself. Going through the actual car wash won't get the undercarriage, at least not enough to get caked on mud off of there. I spent about 3 bucks in quaters and got everything underneath cleaned off. That's what I'd recomend.:o

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Buy several cans of Pam cooking spray. Before you go mudding, spray the entire undercarriage with it...................

10. Janitorjim8

i usually go to those ports at the car wash, because its not worth cleaning off the rediculous amount of mud that would be on my driveway if i used the power washer here. Sometimes i will spray wd-40 or Tire Wet spray in my wheel wells, that seems to work pretty well

11. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

I had a horrible power steering pump leak for the longest time and ATF got all over the driver side leaf, tierod, draglink, steering box, everywhere. One day I went mud riding and the mud got all over the underbody and when I got home there was none in the area that was saturated with ATF.

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

cheaper and easier go buy a gallon of vegetable cooking oil and put it in one of the pump weed sprayers and do that. i used to put it on my tires back when i had crappy ones and i need all the helpi could get.
    worked well on teh underbody also.

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

14. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i am not sure abou this, but i heard one time that the drive through car washes reuse the water, just filter it a little. just think of all the salt in the water if thats the case, in winter that is....

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

There you go...:D Been doing this for years.Even shoot the bed of the dump truck when hauling hot mix,works great.

16. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

One thing I did was trim the lip on the inside of the fenders. Leave as much of the part that runs para to the ground as you can for strength, but the part that runs up and down gets cut off. The coat the inner fenders with gloss black paint. You can spray it with pam so it doesn't stick at all, but I'm usually able to get all the muck off with a garden hose and nozzel. Works good.

17. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I know this is true in atleast some cases. They have a huge filtration system under the one that I use and it filters the self power washer section also. I use it for getting the big debri off and the majority of the salt but it definatly doesn't replace a good hand wash and wax if thats what you are after.

18. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

When i wash the underside of mine I usually pull it on a trailer so i can get to the underside easier. Just lots of time and a pressure washer is the best way i have found to get the underside clean. And always clean it after you have gotten it dirty that way there is not alot of build up and it comes off easier.

19. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

where are you from in IL i live near chi town

20. Janitorjim8

Pro junk racer im from Libertyville, about 45 minutes north. Do you have a lot of places to wheel by you?