Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sweeeeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!!!!!!!! sm465 wheeling today!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I cant believe the difference in control, driveability, responsiveness, crawl speed etc etc etc etc... over tha TH400. It was awesome! I should have went with it long ago.

Thanks to all the guys that contributed thier experience and knowledge to the project.
    I even might be ready for some real rocks soon!
    I will post some pics up soon.

Mike

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

After chat last night I never would have guessed you had a SM465 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Glad you like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing like 1st gear low range is there? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I've never had anything but a 465 - well, I went wheeling with a buddy who has a 350 that would only go in 1st and 2nd, but I don't think that counts.
    Tell us what the difference is - I'd be interested in hearing it.
    -- Mike

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I think the biggest most noticeable thing was the controllibilty thing. We were crawlin over these frozen dirt berms prolly about 2-3 feet high and all unevenly spaced so it was real flexxy too. With the 465, in 4lo 2nd gear, it was just idling thru no problems. If it slowed and had trouble, a tiny touch on the gas would walk her over. With the auto, it would take a bit more gas pedal, until the converter spun up to get it over, then off the gas and onto the brakes cause no engine braking, then back onto it again for the next one. It was always a very rough, uncomfortable ride, and now its so slow and controlled. Also, there is just no driveline 'slack'. Like in 4hi 2nd, I can touch the gas and it moves, with the auto, I would touch it and it would have to shift down to go... I know I could shift it manually, but it was just different. And, I hardly had to use the brakes at all. With the auto, I was always on them. Small things, but they all make a big difference! I like it a lot.

Mike

6. tRustyK5

I'm glad it all worked out and someone got to use that combo...even if I did have to bring it to yer house./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Got a helluva tour of the base in return!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I'm glad it turned out well for ya!! Like jc said, after chattin last night, no one knew you were excited to try it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    even if I did have to bring it to yer house

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, rene, is that the one you got from me???

9. tRustyK5

Yup...Bend to Yakima, then to Surrey where it sat for almost a year...then to Mikes place./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

LOL! Well i'm glad its found a happy home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Nothing like 1st gear low range is there? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like 100 plus crawl ratio with an Awful-Matic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Haven't tested it yet, but sooon.... real soooon... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NAW!!! I liked my SM465, it was the best mod I made at the time - but now that Im older and more feeble - I need the "control" of an auto. Plus my darned leg kept wearing out! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. tRustyK5

They each have thier good points. A doubler would be pretty cool, even with an "Aweful-matic"/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let us know how it all works when you finally get a chance to wheel that bad boy!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ohhhh so you are the guy that removed and labelled everything into the little baggies? Awesome job! It was all there, and it all fit fine. Actually, the only things missing were the springs for the linkage. I dunno if they made it from there to there to there, but I couldnt find em! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Laters
    Mike

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

geeze i can't even remember if the springs where there or not /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif glad everything else worked out well. did you get the 205 too?

15. tRustyK5

Mike got the whole she-bang. Even the big plastic tote.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

LOL... that tote will be useful too!

Mike