Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sweet Deal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ironmelon, Jul 3, 2006.

1. ironmelon

ironmelon Newbie

I just came across an 85 Jimmy for a hundred bucks. Has a bad transfer case, I had to tow it home. Better body than my 89 Blazer and about 100k less miles. My question is can i just pull the 241 t-case out of my Blazer and replace the 208 in the Jimmy? Or should i pull the tranny as well? I have heard that the 700R4 in the 85's were a little defective.
    thanks in advance

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Early 700's are weaker, yes. I forget the exact years, as I have not been blessed with a 700 yet (TH350's and 400's, thankfully.)

You may also have driveline (length) issues; I can't remember 208-vs-241's if they are the same lengths.

Unless you know the tranny in the '85 has been rebuilt, I'd drop it and replace it, yes. Moving a tranny/t-case combo is exciting, but is much easier with some scrap lumber (think 4x4 pressure treat!) and one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

or the like.

-- A

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ya i got to drop my tranny and t-case. WOOHOOO what fun. makes sure you clean EVERYTHING. that jack realy was worth whatever we paid for it.