Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switch to electric cooling fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shawndzugas, Oct 20, 2004.

1. shawndzugas

shawndzugas Registered Member

Has anyone switched their belt driven fan to an electric? If you have what setup did you use?

KERRY IS A JACKASS! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Most people used ford Windstar fans, they are almost a direct bolt-in to chevies and wiring isnt that hard. Since I've done a body lift, and had to ditch the bottom of the stock fan shroud, I decided this is the route I'm going to go as soon as I get my electrical system up to par.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have the windstar fan, but its sittin in my shed, not near installation time yet

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a dual 13.5" fle-a-lite fan setup. Part # 295. It comes as a complete kit with everything needed for the install along with an A/C relay and manual switch. The fans pull 4600CFM!

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I picked up a duel 12" fan from U-Rench-it junkyard, forgot the car it came out of though. But it pulls a ton of air for only $40.00. I also bought a controller from flex-a-lite to turn on the fan from a selectable temperature. It really free's up some horsepower /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have the 2spd elect fan out of a Ford Taurus w/ a 3.8L motor. It is mounted to a piece of flat sheetmetal that seals up to the back of the radiator so that it can only pull air thru the radiator. It cools like a bastard, and was 20 bucks at the bone yard... plus another 20 or so in wiring and a couple relays.

7. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

any one want to share how they set the electric fan up. How did you bolt it on, how did you run the wires, any photos?

thanks in advance

8. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

couple pics in here of my lectric fans

I used LT/LS1 fans for my truck. (thre is a difference between them, but its in the plastic shroud, and doesn't affect mounting/install)

Anyways, the Windstar fans sound like a good idea, fit the stock location pretty close, minor trimming, where mine required an entire metal frame.

Wiring on mine is fairly easy, I copied the stock GM dual fan pattern. Primary fan is ECM controlled, however, that could be done with a temp switch just as the secondary fan is.

Two relays from just about any GM application from the 90's, each fan on its own circuit. Direct power from the battery to each relay, one wire "out" of the relay to the fan motor for power, and seperate ground for each fan motor.

One wire to each relay from an ignition 12V source (makes fans operate ONLY when key is in run position) and one more wire that runs to the temp switch.

That's about the simplest/most reliable/safe way I can think of to wire up dual fans, and gives you the option of only using one fan until the second is actually needed, based on the coolant temp switches, of which there is a big variety (temp range) of "stock" GM ones. Of course you can go with an adjustable, but I don't see the point in that, you want the engine to run as consistently as possible, once set, I can't see a reason you would ever want to change the fan activation temp.

For wheeling, you can easily tweak the above mentioned wiring setup by putting a switch in the 12V ignition switched wire to the relay, if you want to make sure the fans don't come on when in water, etc.

You can fit many wires through the stock heater wiring grommet on the passenger side, so it's possible to keep the wiring fairly clean, but the large wires from the battery are kind of hard to conceal. On mine I have a single large gauge wire running from the battery to an "auxiallary" junction block from a Cadillac, (perhaps 4" from the battery) then the two relay 12V feed wires from that block.

Many GM FWD (and RWD too probably) run a battery cable that has a large gauge wire integral for just that reason, however, from my experience, none are long enough to work in a truck application, short by 6" or less to the starter.

In my experience a single fan is efficient enough to keep the engine cool, (SBC anyways) I watched mine move about 20* in 30 seconds with one fan on. One fan puts less load on the vehicles electrical system, and the load from just one fan is pretty decent, although the two 78 amp stock alternators I've run have held up fine. If I was cycling both fans all the time, I guarantee I'd notice it much more. Not to mention, if you cycle both fans, you will have more on/off cycling as the coolant temp will drop much faster. There is a 15 second "minimum on time" built into the stock GM ECM setup FWIW.

The LT/LS fans seem extremely quiet, I have to REALLY listen to hear them come on when the truck is running, but I have no other setups to compare with, so that is pretty much meaningless. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> thanks for the links, </font> that will help me get this going.