Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching BACK careers I guess...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 24, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sounds like I'm gonna go back working construction for my Dad. Means getting up earlier each morning, but more money and excercise.

Being an Auto Tech isn't working out for me. I've improved vastly at the job, but I'm making horrible money and can't afford to learn as I need to. I stopped and added up the 3 paychecks I have so far this month, and estimated the next one off of the weeks I turned last week, if I'm correct, I made under $1000 dollars this month. And my bills plus the cost of the few items I broke this month(and have to pay for, I have a nasty habit of making these mistakes), I have a grand total of $71 to deposit in my bank account.... For an ENTIRE MONTH worth of work. I have put in 6 day weeks the past two weeks and turned under 30 hours each week. If I add up all the time I've spent at work in the past month and calculate how I would be paid hourly, it would be twice what I actually made. Thats just sad. I haven't turned 40 hours yet on flat rate. I really feel like I'm paying to go to school all over again, but this time its the school of hard knocks.

I just don't know what to do. If I quit the dealership job, I will make more money working for Dad, granted not a LOT. But I will lose my benefits(I'm a generally healthy person), and there is no room for advancing. I could learn the trade more than I have, take over the business someday, something along those lines, but its definetally not what I want to do with my life. Neither is being an Auto Tech though.

At the rate I'm going, it will only take me a solid year to save up the money for the S10s tires... just the tires, not to finish the engine, or anything else it needs.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just remembered 2 bills I've yet to pay... Vet for $75, and Gasoline for the tune of $200. Yep, I am officially $204 in the RED for this month.

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's tough sometimes no one say's you have to work construction forever just do it long enough to get back on your feet

4. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

I agree with YellowK20. Do what you gotta do finance wise to get back on your feet, then start focusing on what you really want to do and pursue it. If you still want to be an auto tech after you save some money, then look for a job at another shop.Trust me, I'm in the same boat as you, my problem is that I have no idea what I want to do:doah: Plus, the bill collectors are'nt gonna be nearly as scary as the brotherhood if you don't finish that S10. We're counting on you:haha:

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

A definite agree with the construction job thing. You are young. Getting off to a finacial rutt can be very difficult to overcome. Take the job with your dad. It may have a few less bennies; however, the fact that you will be making more $$ and have a better chance of getting & staying on your feet has plusses to it.

Then, once you are FIRMLY on your feet, you will have the say as to what your future dictates for you. Finacial stability is the foundation to the rest of your life. You don't need to be rich, just secure. Once you have that, then more options just tend to present themselves.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision, whatever it may be. BUT, you owe it too yourself and your future to weigh both options strongly. Just make an educated decision with your brain, not your heart (or your peepee).

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Get your **** together and come to Alberta. Right now the oilsands projects are hiring anyone they can find. They are importing workers from all over Canada, and are actively recruiting oilfield workers from around the world to fill their needs. Wages are in the $30-35 per hour range for non-skilled labor, and tradesman are making $80+ per hour. The downside? Ft. McMurray is WAY up north, and most jobs offer camp-style residency. However, if I was young, I would be up there in a flash. Sacrifice 5 years of your life and come home with $300K in the bank........:deal:

Anyhow, I don't know how a US citizen gets a work visa, but here is an awesome link that features virtually every company involved in the masive project-

http://www.oilsands.cc/links/industry.asp

I have another piece of advice for you:

You have to drop the thinking that a given industry "is not for me". Every job has it's ups and downs, and can get stale after awhile. What you really need to do is sit down and figure out what you WANT to do and ask yourself if it has the ability to take through life comfortably. That is the key, brother.

Do you think I pictured myself running a pipe crew for the rest of my life? Nope. But you know what? It ended up being a good job, and gave me the ability to raise my family in comfort and have some fun along the way. If I'd given up after a year and moved on, could I have done better? Maybe. But I'm not doing so bad now, and if this is as good as it gets, I'm still damn lucky.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Must be the dealership, I started at $15 an hour, and was making $22.50 an hour three and a half years later. Plus I was training new techs, and got $5 an hour for every hour they turned. I averaged around 40-45 hours a week. Have you thought about switching dealerships? If you came to SC, I could easy get you started around 16.50 or 17 with a guaranteed 25 hours a week. Is the market that slow where you are right now?

Have you considered moving? Plenty of techs make double what you are making now, with just as much experience, but probably not at your dealership or area. Sell off the s10 to use as relocation money. Everybody needs a hobby, but not one that doesn't let you pay the bills. Start cutting expenses. Get rid of the cell phone, stop buying tools, eat pb&j and ramman noodles for lunch. Hell some dealerships may even pay some relocation money to get you set up somewhere else.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You could come be a marine mechanic, I'll hook you up.. ;)

Oh, wait, I forgot, I wouldn't wish my job on my worst enemy... Scratch that... :doah: :haha:

I'd work with dad till something comes up that looks interesting... Not nescessarily an "auto tech" dealer gig.. Heck, I stumbled across the resto gig at the concrete company when I was your age.. Awesome job that was very different...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There are no jobs in the area right now. Auto Techs seem to be hurting in our area right now. I know a kid at a dealership down the road(a Chevy one too, which I'd much rather be at), making MORE than me, at an hourly pay rate, doing oil changes.

I am in a crappy dealer, making crappy money compared to people in this area. I don't have any desire, to move, EVER. I may well do so sooner or late,r but in the end being a Tech is not my lifes desire so don't know what to say.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

A lot of the techs that came and went, did so just to get a raise. Start at one dealer, at one rate, then moved to another for and extra .50-.75 an hour, there a few months and kept moving until they were making decent money. By the time they came back to the dealership, they were making serious coin.

Wouldn't hurt to put in a couple of apps before you decide to go back with dad. Have you given up on the whole car/truck fab side of the industry?

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All education is expesive whether its at school or in life. Do what you have to do to make things work.

On another note, Canmore is on to something. If I was young and single I would gosee some of the world and make some real $$. If I only knew then....

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No thats what I want to do. I'm going to go work for Dad, try and save some money and boost my savings, and go around applying again. Probably put out one or two Tech resumes and mainly Fab stuff. I'm going to start trying to get fab tools together(bender, welder, press brake, etc.) and try and start doing sidework and start my own business(of course the end hope). A friend is suppossed to be getting a truck business going customzing stuff, but its taking a bit to materialize(financial backers taking their time).

13. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Why not get out of the dealer and go to an independent shop that pays hourly instead of flat rape?

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Brother forget about being a goddamn auto tech. If you want to make money wrenching You have got to work on the big stuff. Heavy equipment and truck mechanics smoke "auto techs" when it comes to pay. and the beauty of it all they are all pretty basic and crude for the most part. With what You know right now I could get You a job at our shop making more than double what You are making right now and that would be doing basic crap like brakes, oil changes and hydraulic cylinder repacking.

15. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Dude, I was in your EXACT situation when I was 23-24. I was working 5 days a week as an ambulance tech and I was working at Sears on saturdays and sundays doing alignments, brakes, shocks, alternators, etc. Some weeks were pretty good, others were not. The worst part of is was that when I was working every day, the last thing I wanted to do was come home and wrench on my own stuff. My GTO got neglected pretty bad then. I ended up quitting and taking a job with my old man's construction company. I did that for a while and then eventually went back to school and joined the Air Force.

As far as my advice to you; you've got to do what you've got to do. Good luck bro.

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bingo. Entry level tech at my shop get $13 to $16 an hour (hourly) when they start, based on experience. Top wage at our shop? $33 an hour, flat rate if you want to, but it can be hourly, too.

Don't change (unless it's to another part of the mechanic field) if you don't HAVE to. First year is always the toughest one, but you really only get better at a job once you start doing it, and I'd hate to see you toss all that school out the window...especially with how much you paid for it. You're here, you bought the tools, you have a job with benefits.....Maybe do construction on the side?