Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from 85 to an 80's style front end?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I like the 80's style front end much more then the 85-above, what all is a Must! to switch, what can I make work from my old front end? I'd like to keep as many parts as possible, modding is no problem, let me know...and all this is from going to the vendor fourm and seeing those tube grills from hartley tnt...hah!

Let me know, thanks!

Jack

Who could argue with their front end looking like this?

[​IMG]

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

That is the 73-80 body style.

You'll need a hood, fenders, core support and a bunch of other stuff to convert your 80+. Basically, the whole front clip.

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude the front of your truck looks wicked sweet!!! Why would you want to change to the boring 80s style?

Don't change it man!!

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats not his, thats a vendors...

personally i cant wait to see what the 81-87 grills are gonna look like!

5. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I think the 85-up front ends are fine, but I fell in love with that front end, I must have it...I won't live with myself if I don't get it hah..Tell me thats not the meaniest looking front end hah..So theres no possible way I could make my fenders and core support work and mod them? i'm always up for some modification!

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

fenders, hood, core support, hood hinges, wiper mechanisms, and all associated wiring and lamp fixtures. you'll be left with 2 slits cut in the wiper cowl where your existing hinges now reside, but its basically a bolt on deal.

who makes that grille? i havent seen it before. :dunno:

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

hes a new vendor, check out the vendors section..I think it looks pretty sweet:D reminds me of a superduty

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like each years grille on the truck it came on . Each year is special in its own right .

Although you could start a trend of retro grille swaps :thinking: I mean 89-91 grille swaps are so cliche anymore :rainbow:

9. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i wish you lived closer, i have a 79 front cap on 1 of my parts truck that is in perfect shape and a '80 model(same as 79,except it has the rectangular headlights)both the round and the rectangular lights were available in '80,the '80 was supposed to be the 1st year for the siverado package and they came with the rectangular headlights,while all the lower trim packages had the round lights. the '80 that i drive, i want to go to the '85 up stacked headlights, if its single headlights with the turn signal under the headlight, i think those are ugly, but the stacked headlights with the turn signal in the lower corner of the grille insert looks good to me. all my buddies keep telling me to leave the'80 like it is, because it is unique and only available one year and only on silverados. but i still have the spare 79, but if i'm keeping the '80 front end prolly should keep the 79 also, because everything will interchange if i cruch a fender or sum'n