Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from Analog gauges to Digital

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Feb 27, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I am buying a full kit from Chevy duty. Have any of you done this???? How do you like them??? They are kinda pricy but I want to up grade the look of my truck plus I want NEW gauges.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I dunno man.... digital is starting to wear on me... my next wristwatch is going to have a face & a dial. :rolleyes:

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Digital stuff is cool for the ability to see an exact number, but analog needles are easier to read at a glance. When you're bouncing along a trail, you just want to see the oil pressure gauge pointing in the right general direction. 40 PSI swings the needle to a certain angle, and you really aren't concerned whether it's 40 PSI or 42 PSI.

With digital readouts, it takes your brain longer to decode the info. I.e., is that 40 PSI or 04 PSI?

Take a look at a NASCAR dash sometime. No digital stuff there... The human brain is an analog device and decodes info from other analog devices very well. The NASCAR folks even rotate each gauge to its own position, so that when everything is going well, then ALL of the needles are pointing in the same direction. All the driver then needs to do is quickly glance at the dash. If one needle is out of its preferred range, it will be evident instantly, without the driver needing to look at the numbers on the gauge face. :)

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

gotta link to the kit?

just like doing any other gauges, new senders, etc...... i've seen em look cool... i'd wanna do em in about 10% of the cars i'd build, i'd guess....

hard to beat that oldschool muscle look of some Pro Comps imho...

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd probably add that the LCD digitals are even more difficult to read at a glance when the sun is shining on them.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not to mention analog mechanical gauges are less likely to fail in a wheeling environment. Naturally water resistant :)

7. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Yea after thiking about it i'm going to stick with analog. I will just buy some new gauges and rewire them.
    Thanks for all the info