Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from auto to manual...need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Krase, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

My auto transmission on my blazer is on its last breath, my question is, I would really like to switch to a manual, but before i go to the mechanic, (as i cannot do this myself) i would like to have some knowledge. First what kind of manual transmission will work for my 350. My 88 is the silverado edition, i do not know which transfer or trans i have now, beside it is the auto with overdrive. I think (correct me if i am wrong) my best bet would be get all the parts togther from junkyard and such, have manual rebuilt if needed and then have the swap done. Lastly what kind of price am i looking at on a an average. I really want to go to manual and see it as unless just insanely expensive i will be doing. So thank you for any assistance and opinions you can offer. I am always trying to learn but its a slow process.

thanks
    todd

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Could I ask for some opinions

<font color="green"> Having a mechanic do it will likely be insanely expensive, I would think that it could easily surpass $3000, not including the price of rebuilding the tranny and case. Anyways, to answer the question, the tranny and case most often swapped into these is the SM465. They usually came with the NP205 behind them. They are available in lots of trucks, the tranny is a 4 speed with a granny low that is virtually useless on the street, it's mainly used offroad or towing unless your gears are too shallow for the truck. You will want a complete setup including the pedal assembly, they come available on CK5 on occasion for anywhere from $400 for a basic working older setup with a mechanical linkage. to about $900 for a newer complete setup with a hydro pedal assembly and a 32 spline output on the tranny.

BTW, you likely have a 700r4/NP208 right now.</font>

3. Krase

Krase Registered Member

ok my mechanic says he will do it for three hundred labor if i get the parts and about three weeks in spare time to work on it. Will any sm465 work say one out of a 2wd truck as i thought they had different output and wont go into a transfer case? And what is benefit of going with newer one with the hydro... Please forgive me, but this is above my head i am just gonna try to assemble the parts for him to put in. Thanks for any help as this is a major source of info.

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Three hundred for labor sounds cheap, but it sounds to me like the mechanic is already gonna drag out the installation over 3 weeks, and if anything goes wrong, he already has an excuse to drag it out further. It seems like any good mechanic doesn't have much spare time, because people always seek him for work.

You need a SM465 out of a 4wd truck, not 2wd, to mate to a transfer case, which will probably be an NP205, 208, or 241, depending on what truck you source your parts from. The benefits of a newer hydraulic (vs earlier mechanical linkage) would be softer (easier to push in) clutch pedal, and there is no linkage to bind or break in the rough stuff. Plus, the later model 4 speeds have a 32 spline output shaft that is stronger and less likely to wear as the earlier 10 spline units. One advantage of the earlier units would be they are way easier to find, and generally cheaper to buy. I had a hell of a time finding everything I needed for the hydraulic clutch setup, but finally did thanks to a CK5 member. Good luck, the conversion will be well worth it, and forever reliable!

5. Krase

Krase Registered Member

He is a full time. But when is not doing other peoples stuff he will work on mine. The three weeks wait is just an average to get so cheap. i cant complain better than paying several thousand for all stuff and work. just have to find all the stuff for him to do it