Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from coil to HEI and Remote start solenoid ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jul 9, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK my motor we dropped in the 74 k5 has HEI, but hte k5 is set up (wired) for coil... so what the heck do i do???

Colors????

And the starter wires that go to the starter are way different than my 78 chev truck... so how do i hook the starter solenoid up??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I can help you with the HEI, all you have to do is run a wire from a point on your fuse block that is fused to the ignition switch(when the key is turned to the on position the line is hot) to the BATT terminal on the HEI. I swapped an HEI into my 73, thats all I had to do

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i'm lost... this is all i need to do to start the new truck up too...

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

like he said for the distributor, just a switched 12 volt wire to the "batt" term. your old starter wiring has two wires to the starter, when disconnected from the starter only one gets power when the key is turned to the start pos., hook that one to the start terminal on the solenoid, the other one is no longer needed,you can tape it off or remove it.