Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from ESC to TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 16, 2004.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Gonna be swapping in my TBI this summer /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif. Problem is that the 84 has that ESC crap. Does ESC have anything to do with the trans lockup? If so, what can I do, or is the TBI a replacement to the ESC? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I need to get this damn quadrajet up and out, it's been rebuilt and is still running rich, even after fiddeling with it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ESC is integrated into the TBI system.

I hope you aren't thinking that TBI is going to be a hassle free swap. Nothing wrong with injection, but it will more than likely take a fair amount of time for you to get it up and running, and if a Q-jet is giving you problems, you might be in for more than you think.

Either that, or it's just giving you an excuse to go EFI, which is good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: just in case it appears differently, I agree with Tim, I'm just addressing the ESC applicability in this situation, not TCC. Don't want anyone thinking there are two opinions here.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ESC can easily be eliminated and has nothing to do with TCC lockup.

I took mine out years ago when I had a 700R4. The only thing that affects lockup is your brake light switch and the vacuum switch on the firewall IIRC. All that other crap can be eliminated and your TCC will still lock.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you wire it up correctly when you do the swap. The TBI computer will control TC lock up.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I suppose you could do it that way. Or you could just leave it so that the vacuum switch does it. Probably doesn't make any difference.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is a little more complicated than that. Depending on what year the valve body is, the lockup may not be controlled entirely by the ECM after the conversion. Many of the early/mid 80's 700R4 have a dual control for TCC lock. There is the aforementioned vacuum switch and there is also a valve for it which monitors gear, and TV pressure (maybe something else, too.) So even when the ECM sends the lockup signal, that will only lock the TCC if the other conditions are right as well.

For that matter, the vacuum control is supposed to go through a thermal ported switch and maybe some other vacuum stuff, too. Part of the reason to go to FI is to get rid of some of the rat's nest of vacuum lines.

The cleanest way to do the conversion is to swap in a valve body from a TBI truck, but this certainly insn't necessary to make a driveable truck.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It is supposed to go through that thermal vacuum switch but mine worked without that portion for some reason. It is supposed to inhibit TCC lockup until the engine reaches operating temperature.

It has been almost three years since I had an automatic so I can't remember all of the details.