Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

switching from points to hci distrib.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by samiam, Oct 1, 2003.

1. samiam

samiam Registered Member

have a 73 with a goodwrench 350 ..am converting to hci,, any body have any tips?? Seem to have too many wires..which goes where kinda thing.. thanks sam

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

do you mean hei?

3. samiam

samiam Registered Member

without my glasses the e c look kind of close.. add to that i type about 2 words per hour .. it should read hei

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

You need to have 12v + in to the cap, use a mulitmeter to make sure you have a true 12vs most point seutups i have seen have a resistor in them that cuts down the the voltage. your ground is through the cap and it grounds through the wiires from the side of the dist, to the dist itself and then to the engine. If you have a tach hook up the trigger wire to the - side of the coil. if you have the correct gm plugs to fit the cap cool if not you can use regular female spade connectors, thats what I use.
    hope that helps

brad

5. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

what ever you do wear your glasses /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    but it is worth the change over not hard.....if you can see

6. samiam

samiam Registered Member

Re: switching from points to hei distrib

thanks for the help, hope its worth the effort.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: switching from points to hei distrib

I'd reccomend running a new 12 gauge wire to the fuseblock thats hot only in the "key on" posistion.Old points setup used resistance wire as a previous post already said.and wont deliver enough amps under load(though it may still say 12 volts on the meter!)The previous owner of my plow truck converted to hei,but he used the old idle stop solenoid wire that was nearby--convenient,but it also has a fuse--that blew on an onramp to the interstate /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--very inconvenient.