Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching from sliders to solid windows

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inscape, Sep 12, 2004.

1. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Bought my 89 K5 durring the summer, so I didn't have the pleasure of having the funky smell at the time. Now that it's raining it's bad. I have sliding windows, the track selas on the inside are damp after it rains, so could it all be coming from there? The whole truck feels kinda damp and muggy, and I don't see any other leaks except for a small hole between the tailgate and top because the seal isn't good. One of the sliders is cracked so I'm going to replace them, should I put solid windows in there? and are they hard to install or should I have them installed?

In LMC they have the solid wondows for $00 each, and $170 each with depp tint. I'll probably go for the $100 glass. Do I need to buy new seals or can I use mine?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a HUGE fan of solids over the sliders. The sliders leak and are easy to break into not to mention how much cleaner and smoother the solid windows look.

Go for the $100 non tinted windows and just take the blazer to a tint shop when you get them in, the local shop charged me $50 for 5% limo for both sides. You will need new weatherstripping/seals. The solids aren't that hard to install if you have the rope and know what you are doing.

What I would do is take your new non tinted glass along with your blazer to the tint shop and just have them tint and install the glass, they removed my solid windows to tint them, probably wouldn't cost much extra for them to pop out the sliders for you and I bet installing the solids would be included in the tint because they would have had to come out anyway.

3. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Cool, thanks.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you wait, someone will probably GIVE you non-sliders, or a top with them still in it.

It's not fun, but pop the side panels off of the bed area, and watch when it rains. Water can come in from either bed rail, or the whole area behind the cab. Usually you'd notice the front cab seals leaking from wet floor behind the front seats (especially where the seatbelts bolt to the wall) but if it's leaking from the bed rails or tailgate, you won't see that.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near $100 a piece for non-sliders, more like 420 a pair, IF I had to pay for them.

I swapped to sliders, then back to solids, because the sliders are just a bad design. Kinda neat idea, just not executed well.