Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching front axles in 78 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddNutz, Aug 29, 2004.

1. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

I am looking at a 78 model k-20 that a guy has for sale. I want it to be my tow rig/ weekend truck. He said that he swapped a dana 60 into the front about a year ago. The dana 60 has 4.56 gears and the rear 14 bolt has 4.11. I don't think I need the 60 for what I want the truck for so I was wondering if a dana 44 8 lug with factory milled/drilled/tapped steering knuckle both sides for hi steer would still be able to bolt right in were the 60 was or would modification be required. The reason I ask is that a guy locally has this dana 44 with 4.11 gears for sale cheap but I figured I could make some money buy putting the 44 in place and selling the 60. By the way I am not planning on doing hi steer.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its a bolt in on the fronts . Sell the 60 and the high steer 44 stuff here at a fair price , and run regular steering if thats what YOU want /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif