Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Switching steering columns...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    Been awhile since I last posted. I'm getting a 79 longbed for parts for my 78K5. The 79 has a tilt column, and I want to add this to my K5. It should bolt in, but will the wiring harness fit? Thanks for the help.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

As long as the tilt column is complete, it's a bolt in swap. Wiring harness is the same. Should take you less than an hour to do the swap.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just swapped a '79 tilt column into my '78 K10. It all bolted in, but there were some minor difficulties. The bolts that thread into the underside of the column below the dash (in the cradle deal that holds the column up) had a different thread pitch and the electrical connections hooked up but took some fanagling because the sockets on the new column were flipped 180 degrees from the old column. Not too bad of a job, the fact that you have the whole parts truck will make it a bit easier. Rebuild the tilt mechanism before you put the column in, it's a lot easier to do on the bench than in the truck.</font color>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sounds like your tilt column came from a car. GM cars had same basic column as the trucks but with a few minor changes. A large body round car column (tilt, auto/manual, it doesn't matter) will pretty much just bolt right in. Main diff is that the plug points the other way. I always just remove the clip holding the plug, flip it over to plug the harness in, and zip tie it into place. For instance, I put a tilt column out of a 72 Impala into my 76 Chevy K10 many years ago. I also got a square housing tilt column (don't remember what I got it out of) and put it in a 81(?) by just cutting part of the shroud away where it went through the dash. A piece of plastic edge molding made it look like a factory job...

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The plug didn't point the other way, it was just upside down on teh column. The harness still plugged in fromt he passenger side. Maybe it was from a car, but a freind of mine pulled it from a 79 Burb that was pretty much a stock truck. No matter, it's in there now so I guess it doesn't matter too much. </font color>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ahh, misunderstood. My main point in posting was just for others to see that they can use the cheaper and more common tilt car columns to upgrade older trucks...