Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

switching to locking hubs??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, May 12, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 with the stock 10bolts and it still has the stock automatic hub engagement on it....Im wondering should I switch this out for manual hubs or is it reliable enough to keep running?? and if I should swap it out how hard is it to do??

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep, throw those autos in the trash! Get some Warns and call it good.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The generally accepted wisdom is that the auto hubs SUCK. I've never seen a working set /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You'll need an Allen wrench (hex head) and a set of snap ring pliers... but it's eeeeeeeeeeasy, you don't even need to take the wheels off or jack the truck up.

Also handy to have a dentist's pick, as I recall. If you've never done it and are only mechanically inclined enough to change your oil, figure an hour worst case. Once you've done it, it's a ten minute job the next time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

4. smprider112

sweet....any locking hubs will work right?? these things are as good as gone then /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just grabbed some stock Spicers out of the bin at the local wrecking yard. $20 I think, have worked for YEARS with no problems, and they were already probably 20 years old when I got them.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well "any will work" is a bit vague. You need a set that matches your particular axle -- Dana 44 internal hubs won't fit an external Dana 44, nor a Dana 60.

OTOH, internal D44 and Corporate 10-bolts use the same hubs. I'm a big fan of the Warn Premiums; cost a bit more, but more metal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Actually, when I bought my last set, 4WPW had the Premiums for less than the regular ones /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif so I was happy. I think I paid $75 or so to my door.

There's also Milemarker, and the OE Spicer ones... maybe one more brand that I'm forgetting.

-- A

7. smprider112

cool thanks a bunch guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. cdh

cdh Registered Member

Bought Warn Premiums from Desert Rat for $80. Easy Install.